Discussion "Skydance New Media" announces a new STAR WARS game with Amy Hennig !

A new Star Wars game in the making, though we don't have much info as Skydance New Media has not released any screenshots or trailer for this new Star Wars game. As such, you should not expect to be playing it anytime soon.

That being said, it appears that Skydance New Media and Lucasfilm Games (a revived video game brand under Lucasfilm Ltd) have announced the development of a new single-player Star Wars game, with game industry veteran Amy Hennig leading the project.

The announcement that Hennig is helming this single-player action-adventure Star Wars game is notable because Hennig's last industry games project was a single-player action-adventure Star Wars game—specifically one whose development was so turbulent it led to the demise of EA subsidiary Visceral Games before being cancelled by EA Vancouver.

Amy Hennig previously worked on the Star Wars game from Visceral Games that Electronic Arts canceled in 2017. According to EA, the game simply did not meet its expectations.
There's no mention about Hennig's prior work in Lucasfilm Games' announcement about the title, except for a reference from company vice president Douglas Reilly about being thrilled to work with her "again."

Hennig had previously been known for her critically-acclaimed work on the Uncharted series, Legacy of Kain, and Jak and Daxter. She left EA about seven months before EA Vancouver's Star Wars project was shelved. Though she originally said she was looking to pursue independent development, she joined up with Skydance Media to develop games for "emerging streaming platforms."

The veteran storyteller has had some interesting thoughts about game development over the last few years. In 2019 she told Double Fine CEO Tim Schafer that games like Detroit: Become Human and Florence drove her to think about how players could easily take part in interactive stories, and in an interview with Eurogamer she mused about a world where streaming technology could reshape the game industry business model to free up creatives.

It's unclear if this new game will follow up on either of those creative instincts, or if it will be a conventional single-player title. Since 2019, Stadia has shed itself of its in-house game developers, though Detroit: Become Human Quantic Dream is also working on a Star Wars game. This also isn't Skydance New Media's first project with Disney. The company is working on a (still-unannounced) Marvel game as well.

Hennig, president, Skydance New Media, said:

“I’ve often described how seeing Star Wars in 1977 essentially rewired my 12-year-old brain, shaping my creative life and future indelibly. I’m elated to be working with Lucasfilm Games again to tell interactive stories in this galaxy that I love.”

Douglas Reilly, vice president at Lucasfilm Games, also added:

“We couldn’t be more thrilled to be working again with Amy. She and the Skydance New Media team have the talent and ambition to create a unique Star Wars adventure. Their vision for making narrative driven and engaging interactive entertainment makes this collaboration very exciting. We’re working hard with their team of experienced and talented developers, and we’re looking forward to sharing more with Star Wars fans when the time is right.”

Beak, executive vice president & GM, Skydance New Media, concluded:

“We couldn’t be happier to be working with Lucasfilm Games. We look forward to taking fans on an epic journey with this Star Wars action-adventure title.”

skydancestarwars.jpg

Last edited:
Any word yet though on what type of game it will be, SP, Coop, MP, Stuff with Jedis and light sabers, or Troopers vs Rebels? Any aircraft fighting?

Nope, actually even I'm not sure what type of star wars game they will make. But my guess it that this upcoming title will be a single-player action-adventure, given Amy Hennig's involvement, IMO.

Though, it's too early to make any guess right now. Even if you scour the internet there is hardly any useful info regarding what type of star wars game this would going to be, based on which we can conclude anything.

Speaking of star wars games, have you played the 2019 title, Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order ? I haven't bought this title yet. My last game was the reboot Star Wars Battlefront II released in 2017. Apart from that, my most favorite single player star wars games are these old first-person shooters ! I still play them occasionally.

Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast (2002)

Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy (2003)

Star Wars: Battlefront II (2005)

Star Wars: Republic Commando (2005)

Nope, actually even I'm not sure what type of star wars game they will make. But my guess it that this upcoming title will be a single-player action-adventure, given Amy Hennig's involvement, IMO.

Though, it's too early to make any guess right now. Even if you scour the internet there is hardly any useful info regarding what type of star wars game this would going to be, based on which we can conclude anything.

Speaking of star wars games, have you played the 2019 title, Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order ? I haven't bought this title yet. My last game was the reboot Star Wars Battlefront II released in 2017. Apart from that, my most favorite single player star wars games are these old first-person shooters ! I still play them occasionally.

Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast (2002)

Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy (2003)

Star Wars: Battlefront II (2005)

Star Wars: Republic Commando (2005)
Yeah I definitely played and really loved Fallen Order, also Jedi Outcast and Academy, and BF II 2005, including the new BF II as well. I'm not 100% sure whether I was able to beat Outcast and Academy on hardest modes, but I vaguely recall I did. It's strange though because the tougher saber battles is what I struggled with most in those older games, but in the newer ones, I had to lower the difficulty one notch below hardest on the dogfight in BF II. I beat Fallen Order on hardest mode, but the battle against the Second Sister boss took me a while to figure out.

Your guess on the type of game it will be sounds reasonable, given Amy Hennig seems to specialize in SP Action Adventure writing like Uncharted.

I'm itching to play this title soon. I just wished this game also had some guns/weapons to deal with the enemies, apart from the obvious lightsaber as well the Force, You know like some older FPS and TPP star wars titles.
Well, Fallen Order is more true to Star Wars canon, whereas the Jedi Knight series is not. Sure Luke Skywalker started out with a blaster in the first movie, but that was before he became a Jedi.

Jedis don't need firearms, the fire is in their saber and the force.

Well, Fallen Order is more true to Star Wars canon, whereas the Jedi Knight series is not. Sure Luke Skywalker started out with a blaster in the first movie, but that was before he became a Jedi.

Jedis don't need firearms, the fire is in their saber and the force.

Yes, you are indeed correct. My bad. Fallen Order is true to roots of star wars, unlike other titles in the Star wars universe which I mentioned before. Obviously, being a Jedi makes you to use FORCE along with the saber. And, I'm okay with this as well, since not all games can have guns.

I would pick up Fallen Order this summer, when it goes on sale on Steam. Right now, I have a huge backlog for me to complete.

Yes, you are indeed correct. My bad. Fallen Order is true to roots of star wars, unlike other titles in the Star wars universe which I mentioned before. Obviously, being a Jedi makes you to use FORCE along with the saber. And, I'm okay with this as well, since not all games can have guns.

I would pick up Fallen Order this summer, when it goes on sale on Steam. Right now, I have a huge backlog for me to complete.
It's really a great game even for those whom like a bit of shooting mixed in. I don't think you'll miss the guns much. BD-1 is a hoot too. Oddly enough, the biggest complaint I ever saw mentioned on the official forum of the game was the appearance of spiders. Those with arachnophobia didn't like that at all. Quite frankly I thought they were asking for too much to omit them for such a small percentage of people. You also don't even really need to fight the tougher spiders in the game, they're completely optional. Gorgara the giant bat is actually more difficult to fight, and far more grotesque if you ask me.

Speaking of Star Wars franchise, we have a SALE going right now on STEAM.

Steam's Star Wars Day Sale has started

Star Wars day is coming, and Valve is already celebrating by launching their Star Wars Day game sale on Steam, offering most Star Wars titles on the platform at a discounted rate. That said, Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga remains at its full retail price, as should be expected from such a recently released title.

For those who want to play something modern, Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order and Star Wars: Squadrons are available with 75% discounts, making both games available for 9.99 USD each on Steam. For fans of more classic Star Wars games, Pandemic Studios' classic Star Wars Battlefront and Star Wars Battlefront II are available for 3.99 and 3.49 USD respectively.

If you fancy some RTS goodness, Star Wars Empire at War's Gold Pack is available for 6.99 USD. Respawn Entertainment may be working with Bit Reactor to create a new Star Wars strategy title, but for now, Empire at War remains one of the best Star Wars strategy games on the market, despite its age.

Have a look at Steam's other Star Wars gaming offers here. Happy gaming, and May the 4th be with you.

0bfa137721e48386b3f09bb99890ba04446a58fc.png