Skydog Kickstarter Passes Goal, Edges Closer to Retail

Status
Not open for further replies.

greatsaltedone

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
It's about time someone attempted to bring routing into the 21st century. Let's all hope that it does not come at the expense of the raw data and functions we're used to.

jack1982

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
Somebody should really make a router that's designed for a regular person to install and use and not assume that only IT professionals do that sort of thing.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
A neat idea. But given that so many people with home wifi networks either can't or don't change it from an open to a secured access point, I can't see a whole lot of people outside of the enthusiast market going for this. And those that would be interested in a product like this can generally already accomplish what is described, even through the crappy firmwares on most routers much less flashing an alternative firmware to enable more options.
Then again, more power to these guys if they make it work.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010

Because IT professionals love acronyms, I believe RTFM has correctly described the problem and solution with all simple electronic devices since the birth of the VCR, including a wifi router.

Just like a VCR as long as you connect the cables correctly, the device will work out of the box, you should not expect to know how to setup a recording schedule without RTFM. Just like you should not expect to know how to setup mac address filtering, security, whitelisting, ip connection logging, security, etc. etc. etc... without RTFM.

Last I checked knowing how to read wasn't some exclusive club that only IT pro's were allowed in.

I'm with Teh_chem on this one. The only people that will use this are the 20 somethings that don't want to help their parents / grand parents setup proper wifi.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010

Might want to ask a question on the forums instead of in the news comments :)
Include your price range and distance requirements. If you get a thread going PM me and ill help.

urbanman2004

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012
This is a nice idea, but I’m already accomplished in knowing how to set up the average router so if were to get this it won’t make my productivity any more efficient

Status
Not open for further replies.