Skylake non-k overclock?

xxxGODxxx

Reputable
Oct 3, 2014
I've heard that skylake cpus have the bclk unlocked so I'm not sure if the non-k versions of the cpus have the bclk unlocked too. I'm conflicted between buying the i3 6100 and the 6600k - I know that there is a huge difference in performance but I will be getting a 1440p screen so I'm not sure if the cpu will be a bottleneck for me

For that resolution an I5 6600K will be the reasonable choice here.The I3 processor will struggle at 1440p.
Usually non-k versions are factory locked, but I heard that BCLK is unlocked on Skylake too.
But even with that OC the I3 won't provide enough horsepower for that resolution.

WabbitHero

Reputable
Sep 30, 2015
you are better off with a K version if you really want to overclock
even if the bclk is unlocked, you can't overclock too much as it will still affect memory and lead to more stability issues over multiplier overclock.

more and more newly released games now require quad core and i'm sure future ones will as well. i3 is just not gonna cut it

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
Okay you're right that it is tied to the memory but you can change the ratio to keep memory speed where you want it. I've seen k series ocs @133 bclk and 166. If you can play with it that much and the bclk is unlocked then you should be able to oc a nonk processor

xxxGODxxx

Reputable
Oct 3, 2014
I thought that gaming at a higher resolution would make the cpu less of a bottleneck than a a lower resolution so the choice of the cpu wouldn't have as much an impact? And can anyone give me a link to a skylake i3 review (if there is any)? I can't seem to find any reviews

xxxGODxxx

Reputable
Oct 3, 2014

So to clarify the cpu should be overclockable using the base clock and it won't cause any system stability issues as it had in the past with haswell and ivy bridge?

ClaudiuC

Reputable
Oct 28, 2015
I recently purchased an i5 6600 and even tough I can set the blck clock to whatever I want it doesn't seem to work ... by the time Windows boots my CPU is still working at it's factory settings ... no matter what I change in the BIOS the CPU won't OC. So it's possible that you simply cannot OC non K models.

I've since send it back and replaced it with a 6600K since I do want to OC.