[SOLVED] Skylake or Haswell for Windows 7

Jun 11, 2020
Hi!

I was wondering which architecture is better for running Windows 7.
I have read in a few post around the web that Skylake was just a little faster than the corresponding Haswell processors and that Skylake had quite a few bugs that Intel and Microsoft still haven’t finished patching yet (I’m NOT talking about the Windows 7 install issue that is caused by a lack of USB 3.0 support). The 2 CPU’s I have in mind are the i7-4790 and the i7-6700.
See what I’m trying do to is getting Windows-7 to run as fast as possible (kind of). I NEED to run Windows 7 and cannot upgrade (for a variety of reasons, too numerous to list).

So what do you guys think? Would Skylake be really better than Haswell for that purpose?

Solution
there is a lot of misinformation and mis-interpretation of what "end of life" means for the OS.

for instance XP has new updates fro within the last year as well.

as i have explained before and probably will have to many more times, most of the code for windows is shared between all the old versions. they have added features to win 10 but use the same old code for the majority of the base components. when they patch a problem in this code, it then applies to all those old versions simply due to being reused code.

the patch is then released to every version it applies to since it is no more work for them. it has been this way since the beginning and will continue. so major vulnerabilities in the core components of windows tend to exist...

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you can run win 7 on the new chips as well. i am using it right now on a ryzen 3700x with a b450 board.

you just have to look close for some win 7 support. my board has the drivers right on gigabyte's support site!!

i know new intel chips also work with win 7 as i have installed it multiple times on new systems.

as for your specific chips you asked about, the newer chip will run better as it is faster. not sure what you have seen but i can't imagine any reason a 3 generation older chip would somehow run better just because of the OS. i'm guessing this is some random youtube video that has little basis in reality.

Last edited:
Reactions: mkaafy

gtarayan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
When you say "Skylake" - do you mean specifically the 6000-series chips (6700k) or more broadly any chip from the latter-mentioned generation and up to 10900k? 10900k will be much better than Haswell. Conversely, there is no tangible difference between 4790k and 6700k.

Jun 11, 2020
by Skylake I specifically mean the i7-6700 CPU. I looked up a few CPU comparison charts, namely:

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-6700-vs-Intel-Core-i7-4790/3515vs2293
and
http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-6700-vs-Intel-Core-i7-4790

Judging from the results there, one would assume that the older i7-4790 indeed operates faster than the newer i7-6700, but of course those are not the only CPU comparisons around and it's hard to believe (for me at least) that a newer CPU would run slower than it's predecessor. If I remember correctly, Intel stated that the Skylake architecture was "made for Windows-10" and Microsoft wasn't going to support it's use with Windows 7 but later changed their mind.
What I would like to avoid are hidden caveats or pitfalls that would slow down my system, because of features that are not supported under Windows 7. I can't really name a specific component because I read about these things a while ago, long before I decided to buy a new system.
The reasons I can't upgrade to Windows 10 are privacy and compatibility issues mostly. Also, I need control of the updates... and a few more things.

DSzymborski

Titan
For privacy issues, choosing an operating system that will not receive security updates seems an odd one.

It's really hard to give useful advice without specifics. What is incompatible? Most of what you refer to are things and stuff rather than actual hard info. You can't expect more than vague, general answers when very little of the key information is shared.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
"Also, I need control of the updates... and a few more things. "

Well, with Win 7, that is not an issue. You don't get any.

that's not really true. i got 5 of them yesterday when i ran update. they are still coming including updates to defender signatures and security patches for .net and so on. still coming on the regular like they always have. :)

was also a security roll-up right on schedule

D

Deleted member 14196

Windows 7 is only getting security updates for now but that’s not going to continue. I can’t find anywhere in the news where they said they were going to continue security updates except for extended ESU members so I don’t really believe that anyone is getting any more updates for Windows 7 if you are you must have the extended service plan if not I don’t believe it

Last edited by a moderator:
Windows 7 is only getting security updates for now but that’s not going to continue. I can’t find anywhere in the news where they said they were going to continue security updates except for extended ESU members so I don’t really believe that anyone is getting any more updates for Windows 7 if you are you must have the extended service plan if not I don’t believe it

Well I don't have extended support but my W7 VM that I use every other day got some more updates a few days ago, so perhaps you should believe it.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
there is a lot of misinformation and mis-interpretation of what "end of life" means for the OS.

for instance XP has new updates fro within the last year as well.

as i have explained before and probably will have to many more times, most of the code for windows is shared between all the old versions. they have added features to win 10 but use the same old code for the majority of the base components. when they patch a problem in this code, it then applies to all those old versions simply due to being reused code.

the patch is then released to every version it applies to since it is no more work for them. it has been this way since the beginning and will continue. so major vulnerabilities in the core components of windows tend to exist for all the versions and gets patched all at once and released to all effected versions at once.

believe what you want but i can tell you from many years of experience that windows 7 will get these patches for a long time to come. just like xp, vista and win 8. it will not get new features but i don't want the features they have built into win 10 anyway. otherwise i'd use that instead.

not getting new features and not getting these vulnerability patches are 2 completely different things.

it is worth noting though that any win 7 specific features will not get any specific patches if it is only win 7. they have stopped working on that type stuff. but what unique features does win 7 have? other than widgets which they already removed, i don't think there were any others that are unique to just win 7

Solution
D

Deleted member 14196

Sure they will patch.net and other components but the service stack for the os should not be. I wish they had the gonads to just drop it all together what a waste of time and effort

the two are pretty close, Skylake offers better NVMe support as Z97 Haswell boards only do PCIE 3.0 X2. btw. Win7 has a builtin-in check for Ryzen or Intel 7xxx CPUs so even Window Updates won't run under Win7 due to supported hardware.

I still have Win7 on an ITX board w/ i3-6100 for WMC - it's stable FWIW

Hi!

I was wondering which architecture is better for running Windows 7.
I have read in a few post around the web that Skylake was just a little faster than the corresponding Haswell processors and that Skylake had quite a few bugs that Intel and Microsoft still haven’t finished patching yet (I’m NOT talking about the Windows 7 install issue that is caused by a lack of USB 3.0 support). The 2 CPU’s I have in mind are the i7-4790 and the i7-6700.
See what I’m trying do to is getting Windows-7 to run as fast as possible (kind of). I NEED to run Windows 7 and cannot upgrade (for a variety of reasons, too numerous to list).

So what do you guys think? Would Skylake be really better than Haswell for that purpose?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
Win7 has a builtin-in check for Ryzen or Intel 7xxx CPUs so even Window Updates won't run under Win7 due to supported hardware.

this is just flat out wrong. i use win 7 on a 3700x system and update works for me, activation worked no problem and so on and so on. this is just outright false and needs to stop being spread around. the only thing win7 does that prevents it being installed is lack of usb 3 support being built in and that's just the age of the OS, not something put there for a reason. if you use a 2.0 slot all is well or if you put 3.0 drivers into the install media, there is no problem either.

i wish people would just stop spreading the flat out lies. i understand people just really really want everything but win 10 to go away for some reason but it's not going to anytime soon. but the mis-information campaign is getting to be too much. it is all simply not true. i install win 7 on multiple systems a week that are all new hardware and none of us have any issues with updates, drivers and so on.

but if you feel that just repeating over and over will somehow make it true, you are deluding yourself and doing a disservice to everyone who sees the mis-information!!

Reactions: mkaafy
activation is different from updates, no one said you couldn't do the former, Intel 7xxx have no native Win7 support and Update will definitely complain

this is just flat out wrong. i use win 7 on a 3700x system and update works for me, activation worked no problem and so on and so on. this is just outright false and needs to stop being spread around. the only thing win7 does that prevents it being installed is lack of usb 3 support being built in and that's just the age of the OS, not something put there for a reason. if you use a 2.0 slot all is well or if you put 3.0 drivers into the install media, there is no problem either.

i wish people would just stop spreading the flat out lies. i understand people just really really want everything but win 10 to go away for some reason but it's not going to anytime soon. but the mis-information campaign is getting to be too much. it is all simply not true. i install win 7 on multiple systems a week that are all new hardware and none of us have any issues with updates, drivers and so on.

but if you feel that just repeating over and over will somehow make it true, you are deluding yourself and doing a disservice to everyone who sees the mis-information!!

TRENDING THREADS