Skype Bandwidth Usage

honeychyld

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015
I would like to know how much bandwidth a Skype to Skype call (voice only) uses. I've tried searching around, but am getting confused because people seem to be mixing up kbps/KB and mbps/MB.

I'm hoping someone can tell me the actual usage per hour with the correct unit of measurement.

Thank you.

honeychyld

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015
Thanks for the reply.

I do know about that, but that can only be used while on a call. I know it may be different usages depending on internet speed, etc, but I'd like to know the average usage per call. During my searches, people have given the average use per call, but mixed up the kbps, mbps, etc. So this is where my confusion is.

Best bet is to do the math yourself then.

I too have seen the 50k bits /sec number. This is inline with most VoIP and depends which compression codec is used. Uncompressed voice data would only be 100k bits/sec. You can get actual values by watching the resource monitor while a call it up.

So now you can convert it to bytes for what ever time period you need.

honeychyld

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015
Thank you both for helping to clarify things for me, it is greatly appreciated. The reason I was inquiring, is because my boyfriend and I use Skype regularly to communicate. He told me that within a 3-day period, he had used 16GBs of his bandwidth on our skype calls ( roughly 50hrs of skype time in 3 days). It sounded a bit exaggerated to me. Our calls would average between 2-8hrs each. According to the figures you posted, it's about 44MB/hr x50hrs =approx. 1-2GBs. We did screen share on occasion, and we mostly play video games while chatting. Would all of that equal to 16GB's?