Skyrim and Drivers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mornal

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
Currently trying to play Skyrim but after playing for anywhere from less than a minute to 2 hours my screen goes black and my monitor says it isn't receiving a signal. I believe that this is a graphics driver problem but haven't had any luck fixing it.

This same exact problem occurs with Fallout New Vegas when entering VATS. Also, while I'm lucky to play Skyrim for 30 minutes I can play Battlefield 3 on high settings until I ragequit.

I also used Hardware Monitor to take temperature readings.
While I'm typing this my graphics card is 96F (36C).
Loading up the exterior world of Skyrim and then closing puts me at ~155F (this is also roughly the same temperature that the card runs at for Battlefield 3).
Playing in an interior cell of Skyrim was ~140F.

Specs:
i5 2400 3.1GHz
AMD Radeon HD 6870
8GB RAM
All drivers up-to-date
(Can post more if needed)

Solutions tried so far:
Putting it on low.
Disabling Steam Overlay.
Rolling back AMD drivers from 11.10 to 11.9

Iph23

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
This exact same thing is happening to me, on a 6850. Let me know if you get it fixed please :)

Lephys

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
I've had that problem before, in other games. I want to say Starcraft 2 did it for a little while. I think I just fixed it by completely wiping every trace of an ATI driver (and Catalyst and all that jazz) off my system, even cleaning the registry, then re-installing the newest driver. Of course, that might not be the case here, but I have had the very same crashing and that same message occur with other games.

daviddoff

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011

ty i will test the thing u said :)
The fps increace by 5-10 without Vsynk, but i still feel som lagg i the grafic :(

lncognito

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011

OMG, can you PLEASE link me to the part on the site you got the drivers!? I have the same cardI believe. It is the XFX Radeon HD 5770. I THINK that my game will not play because of this very reason, crashes! I would be VERY grateful!

I tried to update drivers for my GPU, but I think that perhaps I did not install them correctly. I have version: 8.911.0.0

Sorry if I was not supposed to ask this here!

Eldd

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008

Here's the link for video drivers previous to 11.11.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/previous/Pages/radeonaiw_vista64.aspx

Ridonk

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
The 5770 is running the game pretty well, especially for a single slot card. I've been getting solid 40 fps performance on Ultra with the FXAA post-process injector mod and a couple other graphic enhancing mods I found. I find it funny that this generation-old card from their budget-performance line is outperforming some of the performance cards of the 6-series. :p

Eldd

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008

Indeed, this card is performing so well in most games, at high resolutions. It's still amazing to me, hope the new one I'll be upgrading to (the 6950) will not be a let down. I know it shouldn't, but I've read of so many people having issues with that series.

daviddoff

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
Hd6870 is great as singel card, cf is the problem :/ I upgraded from a xfx hd5770 card, and the 6870 is a stronger card i feel, but iccues with drivers is really ignoring btw... may take the second card out of the box and run singel insted ***.. :(

tekmage

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011

I noticed that nobody has mentioned this so I will. This fix was for games that were crashing during the intro but it may work for you since it fixed my gf's computer from crashing. Adjust your sound to 44.1 khz, 24 bit in your sound settings.

tekmage

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
I'm not sure if the mods attribute to my stability but it certainly makes the game very nice to look at. (no more blocky faces, detailed faces v2, FXAA post process injector at preset 2, enhanced blood textures, detailed bodies, vurt's skyrim flora overhaul, and high quality eyes. All of these are available at Skyrim Nexus) I've been running these about 40 hours of the 56 hours I've put into the game. Give them a try. I run AA on 2x, AF on 8x, decals ultra, everything else on high except blur on medium.

lncognito

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011

Thank you! If I may ask one more question... It is not allowing me to run in full window, just windowed mode. It says something about a rendering issue ( I created a thread about it actually). Any thoughts??

daviddoff

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011

Go to option befor you start the game and check out the window mode option :)

IF it is a Failed to initialize renderer error that usually means that you set a resolution that the system thinks your monitor does not support - make sure the setting you are using is actually supported by your monitor and if you can find an .inf file (monitor driver file from the manufacturer) for you monitor so that windows has the capabilities of it (the .inf file tells windows what your monitor supports - and not using the one for your specific monitor will have windows use a generic one that may not support all of the resolutions that you monitor does - but it is getting hard to find some of them since manufacturers think the windows OS ones are useable instead of them providing specific ones for each monitor.

tekmage

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011

This isn't really a fix but a workaround to your issue. Hopefully this will let you play Skyrim and play in pseudo full screen mode

simple borderless window

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=4