Skyrim CTD problem is a nightmare

Gamer 96

Reputable
Jul 23, 2015
So I recently bought skyrim for PC and went on to download some mods for it and I cleaned the matter files with tes5edit cleaned the mods after having freezes and crashes. Didn't do anything, I tried a mod called safety load. Didn't work tried ssme mod, didn't work I even downloaded and installed the ENB this made it worse, so I had to downgrade one version and it worked then. THEN I even tried wryebash yet the game still crashes, I've never had to put more maintenance into a game rather then playing it is f****** ridiculous... So I started a new game with some mods active here are the ACTIVE MODS
Unofficial skyrim patch.esp
Dawngaurd.esm
Hearthfires.esm
Dragonborn.esm
Falskaar.esm
Unofficial skyrim legendary edition patch.esp
Sleeping dangers is and a of time.esp
Lanterns of skyrim-all in one-main.esm
Campfire.esm
Magicduelreborn.esm
Climatesoftamriel.esm
Highrestexturepack01.esp
Highrestexturepack02.esp
Highrestexturepack03.esp
Unofficial high res patch.esp
Skyui.esp
CGgoldplatedcrossbow.esp
CGgolddawngaurdaxe.esp
dD-enhanced blood main.esp
Homebrew.esp
Pumping iron.esp
Build your own city. Esp
SOTAntiCTD.esp
Warzones-civil unrest 2015.esp
Warzone-assault attack.esp
Realistic needs and diseases. Esp
Immersive armors.esp
Revenge of the enemies. Esp
Cloaks.esp
Immersive weapons.esp
UFO-ultimate follower overhaul. Esp
Wearable lanterns.esp
RND_USKP-Patch.esp
Erikmature.esp
Painkiller's_hrothmunds Axe.esp
Simple divorce.esp
Sabrefurbag.esp
Added_killmoves_all weapon types.esp
Dovahkiincheat001.esp (don't judge??)
Frostfall.esp
Jailbreak.esp
Jailmates.esp
Hunterborn.esp
Hunterborn_RND-Patch.esp
Hunterborn_wearable lanterns patch.esp
Immersive music by hothtrooper.esp
Killmoverandom-50%.esp
SkyTweak.esp
AdventurersAndTravelers.esp
UFO-Dawngaurd add on.esp
UFO-Dragonborn add on.esp
UFO-Hearthfire add on.esp
Climates of tamriel-V.esp
Climates of tamriel-V.esp
Climates of tamriel-V.esp (compatibility patches the extra two)
FISS.esp
RSBJ.esp
Open cities skyrim.esp
Alternate start-live another life.esp
OCS+Hearthfires patch.esp
OCS+Dawngaurd patch.esp
So far I believe it's just f****** impossible to run skyrim with mods without CTDS and it's pissed me of to the point where I've accepted to just give up on skyrim until someone can help me... Will slay dragons for technical help,rrrrrrr Bethesda!!!! Makes me upset

Solution
Hi there. Not an expert in any regards, but just looking at your mod list, I've noticed that you have the Unofficial Skyrim Legendary patch. I personally have had problems with this one, and ended up uninstalled it and replaced it with the individual three DLC Patches's. There may be a few mods that you won't be able to use now, but most mods are not made with the Legendary Patch in mind, in my experience.

Also, Open Cities Skyrim (I have heard many times, on forums and the like) is an absolute pain the arse, so it might be that. I have not used it personally, so pinch of salt there.

Also, you may have to keep in mind when the CTD's occur can be an indication of where the problem is stemming from. CTD just after loading the game...

VerisIngenni

Reputable
Feb 9, 2016
Hi there. Not an expert in any regards, but just looking at your mod list, I've noticed that you have the Unofficial Skyrim Legendary patch. I personally have had problems with this one, and ended up uninstalled it and replaced it with the individual three DLC Patches's. There may be a few mods that you won't be able to use now, but most mods are not made with the Legendary Patch in mind, in my experience.

Also, Open Cities Skyrim (I have heard many times, on forums and the like) is an absolute pain the arse, so it might be that. I have not used it personally, so pinch of salt there.

Also, you may have to keep in mind when the CTD's occur can be an indication of where the problem is stemming from. CTD just after loading the game (right before or after the Bethesda logo) are mod load orders or just plain mod incompatibility issues, CTD in game are more likely due to scripting errors. How to fix scripting errors, I do not know.

An absolutely painful, but fairly successful way is to install and try in game each mod one by one. As you can guess, this can take HOURS. But it did work for me. Load order too is vital. I use nexus mod manger auto-sorting, and it's 95% of the time correct. I have no idea how to use LOOT or BOOT or what ever it's called now.

I hope some else can offer a few pointers too, as I am not very knowledgeable in this area, these are just my (limited) personally experiences.

Best of luck, I hope it all gets sorted for you, modded Skyrim is an absolute pleasure to play :)

Solution