Skyrim Falskaar Mod Maker Gets Job at Bungie

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Nice. Love it when talented bacon 'n eggers get recognized for their efforts and bring their creativity into the commercial gaming industry.

vedeyn

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011

Start somewhere lol.... I wish my first job was at bungie.

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
For 19, he's accomplished more than most people his own age, and more than a lot of the country as a whole. Best of luck, buddy - hopefully fortune keeps smiling on you. Glad to hear all the work paid off.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
I'm not surprised he got hired. His commitment and hard work is a better resume than anything most designers could have put together. I am surprised it wasn't Bathesda.

tleavit

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
I was asked to a job interview in California to work on Never Winter Nights 2 based on the presistant world I had created and run in Never Winter Nights for years (adventure Island). I had to pass since they were offering something terrible like $35K a year (in southern California).

tleavit

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
I was asked to a job interview in California to work on Never Winter Nights 2 based on the presistant world I had created and run in Never Winter Nights for years (adventure Island). I had to pass since they were offering something terrible like $35K a year (in southern California).

He needed the job. If you read his story, he was carried by his family that entire year. I don't know many families that would let their son spend endless hours creating something that might not work out without contributing something to the house.

hasten

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007

Hate to agree with him, but its true. I've been there, done that. If he doesn't want to have a social life, significant other, accumulate wealth, or be in good health he obviously has what it takes. Its really unfortunate that's what it takes to succeed in many of the the most powerful entities in the industry.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Two important notes that I think are important:

- First he basically did nothing but this for a year, most of us don't have this luxury. And while I haven't played it myself most of the reviews indicate that it's just a reskinned version of Dragonborn.
- Second he said he created it when he really just brought a bunch of people together to build the pieces. Just look at the credits, other than voice actors and bit pieces he really doesn't acknowledge anyone else other than voice actors. Last I checked people who take credit for someone else's work don't last long.

hasten

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007

You must not work in the corporate world. That's exactly who last long in business...

n3ard3ath

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008

Doesn't make it right or applaud-able.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009

This. Happens all the time. I have a manager who does nothing but deflect blame for every problem he causes, take credit for every good idea, and he makes double to triple those under him. So irritating.

johnwck

Honorable
May 15, 2013
What is described here is pretty general for all young people who are led to aspire to prestigious positions they have little chance of accessing. Many young people work alone on projects outside of any context and their work goes unrecognised and unremunerated, it's part of the excessive numbers of unemployed hidden by educational reclassification. Free time is a prerequisite of mastering anything, as, too often, is exploitation of the labour of others to derive credit.

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Making mods is not trivial, a huge mod like this one is a giant undertaking even if he didn't himself produce everything. Sounds like credit was given though, he thanked just about anyone and everyone for contributing and allowing him to get this job. This is not trivial, he's a 19 year old who landed an awesome gig due to hard work. For the naysayers, try and do the same thing, you'll find out it's very difficult to break in.

catfishtx

Honorable
May 15, 2012

I know right? I could have been collecting on this possible revenue stream for years. Can I charge for meals also? They do eat a lot, especially the boys.

All kidding aside, best of luck to this guy. He worked hard, published some good work, and earned his way into a good job (He would have crazy not to take it). Now that he has his foot in the door, let's see what he can do. And that is what it's all about. Getting your foot in the door. Even if you didn't like his mod, the management of that project is still impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.