Skyrim Lag Help

dfuknb

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
I just bought the Legendary Edition and I cant even play the game on Low Setting yet it recommends Ultra on my rig with the Auto detection in the launcher. My Specs are

Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell
ASUS R9270X-DC2T-2GD5 Radeon
ASUS Z87-DELUXE/QUAD
G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB
SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series 128 SSD
WD BLACK SERIES WD1003FZEX 1TB
NZXT Kraken X60
NZXT HALE90 V2
NZXT H630

I know I can run most other games maxed out but this gives me the same issues. Frustrating!!!

Solution

It might have been his RAM, back when I had 4GB I occasionally got pretty massive slowdowns in Skyrim. Which is odd, since Skyrim is only capable of using 3.2GB anyway before the engine collapses, without SSME.

Regardless, that's not the issue with this guy since...

That still should never happen without mods. I have a weaker PC than his (8GB RAM, i3-4360, 2GB GTX 660) and I can play on ultra settings with 2xMSAA+SMAA at 60 fps with the HD DLC. At 1080p, of course. I suppose due to how Skyrim was made, some parts that I haven't tested much might drop me to 50 fps, but nothing I've encountered yet since I switched CPUs. I also have all the DLC installed and the game fully patched, which is exactly what the Legendary Edition is.

Back to the question:
Do you have any mods installed, and have you ever had mods installed on your save game? How large is your save file in megabytes?

Vynavill

Honorable
Well, he assured me he never had any mod installed, and I don't own Skyrim, so I can only help so much with info about what I've read on how Bethesda's files work, or what I've been told from others. I find it weird too he has slowdowns, and the only thing I can think of is a VRAM swap issue when loading new cells...

Seeing he has an SSD, I suppose he installed it into it. If he got the game into the HDD, it must be fragmented beyond imagination to cause slowdowns...

It might have been his RAM, back when I had 4GB I occasionally got pretty massive slowdowns in Skyrim. Which is odd, since Skyrim is only capable of using 3.2GB anyway before the engine collapses, without SSME.

Regardless, that's not the issue with this guy since he has 16GB of RAM. I was asking if he'd ever had mods installed, not the friend you mentioned.

Solution

dfuknb

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013

DayZ, Metro Last Light, GTA4, Tomb Raider and PayDay 2 is all I play.

dfuknb

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
Do you have any mods installed, and have you ever had mods installed on your save game? How large is your save file in megabytes?[/quotemsg]

No Mods. I bought it straight off thr Steam Summer sale . I got the Legendary Edition. I actually played it again yesterday and it ran fine for like 5 min. closed it and tried to play it over and over but it stayed choppy again. Fraps is reading the game at a steady 60 FPS so im really confused. Oh and I have all m games saved on my WD Black.