Slammed my bag into the side of my case

Brendan_5

Reputable
Jan 13, 2016
I recently built my pc, and today by accident I slammed my bag containing two hard binders into the side of my case. How do I tell if my pc is okay? I checked the hard drive by right clikging the C: drive and scanning it for problems and the pc seems to be running ok, it just froze once while I was playing a game to test it. How do I tell if it is ok? If it is not ok what can I do to get it fixed?
Thanks in advance for the help.

Solution
Was the PC turned on when you slammed into it? If so, the HDD is the most likely thing that could have been damaged. Check to see if everything else is plugged in firmly and not loose (ram, cpu cooler, graphics card).

Brendan_5

Reputable
Jan 13, 2016

Yeah, it was off and I did check the HDD for issues, and everything seemed ok.
Everything seems to be fine, thank god.

You mentioned that it froze once while playing a game. Has that happened before? To fully test the HDD, download the HDD manufacturer's diagnostic software (Seatools for SeaGate for example), and run the full gambit of tests.

It was good that the computer was turned off when this happened, so the read/write heads were parked and probably couldn't come into contact with the platters. You are probably good.