Slave HD probs can any one help?

6351stuart

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
I have a slave HD but when i plug it in i get this
MSG2.jpg

Can any one help. The slave is connected using IDE and my Primary is SATA. (only running HD on the IDE cable no DVD drive as i unplugged it to rule that out)

merlinbadman

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
Are you able to boot ok when its just your primary HDD in?

Is your primary's jumper set to Master?

Do you have multiple IDE ports on your MOBO?

What IDE port do you have your HDD's plugged into?

Are you using any and SATA devices?

Are you able to set any of the SATA options in your BIOS to IDE?

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Your 125Gb drive on Primary Slave connector is failing on SMART status and is also failing to communicate correctly. Try reseating the data cable, at both ens, or try another cable. If no change, the drive is faulty, and requires replacement. Check if under warranty.

Mike.

6351stuart

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
Even tho my main HD is master?although it is on SATA and not IDE
So i will have two masters one on SATA and one on IDE

6351stuart

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008

Yes when the slave one is not plugged in it all fine,

Masters/slave is a relationship between two devices on same IDE channel. If you have only one device on a channel it must be a master. This has no connection with your SATA drive(s) or which disk is your boot disk.

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
If you have only one device on a channel it must be a master.
:eek:
Could you give some referenced for this?

6351stuart. the drive is still giving SMART failure, it is going to fail again! :bounce:
Do yourself a favor and change it now.

Mike.

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Note that despite the hierarchical-sounding names of "master" and "slave", the master drive does not have any special status compared to the slave one; they are really equals in most respects. The slave drive doesn't rely on the master drive for its operation or anything like that
If only one drive on cable it doesn't matter which connector, the drive will work fine. 6351stuart has a SATA drive, which is his boot drive.

Mike.

Now you will get all kinds of opinions, cable select settings, and different advice. Problem is, not all BIOS's for whatever reason will detect and work correctly using other settings, or it the drive is plugged into the wrong place on the ribbon.

To insure the drive WILL work....plug the drive into the end of the cable, set the jumper on the drive to master. If you hook up a second drive to the cable, put it in the middle, set it to slave.

Ensure that you have the ribbon cable plugged in the correct way. The side of the ribbon with red stripe is pin number "1". Make sure the red stripe corresponds with pin "1" on the board, and the drive if the cable has no notch to orientate it correctly. Some ribbons, believe or not do not have the notches on the plugs. The pins on the board and drive are marked right next to the plugs where pin "1" is.

Has no bearing on your SATA devices, your boot order in the BIOS can be set to boot from the IDE or your SATA device first, second, third, fourth, fifth and so on, or not at all, in your BIOS.

If you still get an error, the drive is likely failing.