[SOLVED] Slaving an HP drive

Adrian Branch

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2013
Hi all, i've got an HP P5K32ES with a failing hard drive and won't boot. I only need to get a few things off it so have slaved it up in the normal way. But, the files are in the windows/users directory, and i have no idea how to get to it. The partitions are basically labelled as :

HP Tools
HP Recovery
System
and another partition i created for a datastore.

Theres nothing in that that resembles the normal windows directories etc. so how do i get to the Windows files?
Thanks.

Solution
I'll try later on.

Basically, all files in the above folders are HP system and log files, not standard windows files and directories. I assume HP uses some kind of archive or IS O type files for the windows system?

That would be extremely odd. It looks mostly like recovery partitions here.

Disk Management is crucial here. If you're having issues, you may not see the partition that has your data in Windows Explorer. Which is why you need to be in Disk Management to see if there's a partition that's not being properly read or maybe its in RAW format.

You don't want to do much tinkering until you can look at what you have.

Adrian Branch

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2013
I'll try later on.

Basically, all files in the above folders are HP system and log files, not standard windows files and directories. I assume HP uses some kind of archive or IS O type files for the windows system?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I'll try later on.

That would be extremely odd. It looks mostly like recovery partitions here.

Disk Management is crucial here. If you're having issues, you may not see the partition that has your data in Windows Explorer. Which is why you need to be in Disk Management to see if there's a partition that's not being properly read or maybe its in RAW format.

You don't want to do much tinkering until you can look at what you have.

Solution

Adrian Branch

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2013
Basically, there are two partitions unassigned, and a blank one which doesnt even have a volume , as below: (C: and D: are the obviously main drives on the parent machine. Anything else is part of the slave HP drive.)

Can i now just assign a drive to the unlabelled partitions? Strangely though it says 100% free on them.

https://pasteboard.co/JFwZ9B9.png

Adrian Branch

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2013
The H Drive is just a partiton of the HP slave drive. I use it for work for data storage. And yes, assigning a drive letter to the unallocated drive gave me access to what i wanted :) Dont know why i didnt think of checking disk management !