sleep mode coma

Oct 9, 2018
hello,i own a 2nd hand compaq presario cq62 notebook pc(too late and tired for specs)this machine served me well for 2yrs straight(windows 7 spk 1 home ed.)

so now in the last 5 months on and off it won't reboot next time of use...caps light flashes slow,lan yellow,plug adapter blue then yellow...only way to boot is let battery drain(plug out)then plug in and hit power button...sometimes comes on or goes back again to caps light flashing slow...tried every fix on windows control pane except system restore as i got nervous when said some programs may need to be re-installed namely microsoft proceesor(i'm not advanced for that)so no sys restore.

then i spoke with some people here where i live(at this point looking on ebay for another machine and start fresh)they both said the battery could be the problem,so i finally run hp battery check and said needs to be replaced...then later that night in green said battery ok?...then in morning battery needs replaced(red)....i ordered the battery anyway as it may help this situation...then was reading online and one person said may be ram problem,pc status said ram ok>2.00 and 1.74 still usable with 2 of 3 slots open.

i'm leaving it on 24/7 because i have no choice,if i shut down then tomorrow morning not coming on,i need internet every day,once in the morning and once at night..sometimes in the afternoon for emails,and other more important things..one last comment,i did change the sleep setting to various postions and it did nothing whether sleep.hibernate and 5min to 5hrs and even never sleep it still does it.i also tried default setting and same thing;

any help would be appreciated/thankyou,jeff.g./

That may not have been the battery they were talking about. Try replacing the CMOS battery, which is about a two to three dollar part at most places that sell batteries. Usually they are a CR2032.

Also, try restarting etc., with the battery removed and the unit plugged in to AC power. If it still does the same thing, then the problem is not related to the battery pack, but is more likely a problem on the motherboard or with the power jack assembly inside the laptop where the AC adapter plugs into the unit.

I've owned about three of those CQ62 units and two of them failed from power jack issues within about two years, while the other one was still working fine when I sold it, but I did have to replace both the CMOS battery and the main battery while I had it due to them both taking dirt naps.

Oct 9, 2018

If you want to answer, click in the box below where it says Post an answer (Above where it says Submit your answer) below the last post on any page.

OR click the text on any post where it shows a little bent arrow and says Reply to XxXxX, with the X's being whomever the post belongs to. That will quote that post and give you a place to type your response. Otherwise, you just end up with a quote and no post if you click on the quotes button.

Oct 9, 2018

Oct 9, 2018
ok,...cmos battery,okay and its cr2032 and cost is nominal..where they sell batterys(ok)where is this cmos battery located to replace?

2nd part of answer/yes i have done that many times,battery removed plugged into ac and same problem.good to know someone had the same issue about possible power jack assembly inside machine or plug itself..i think its too late to stop the order for the battery,they batt depot said shipping today,i called to tell them stop order as i feel it is something else..so now what if its the motherboard?what would be the fix for that and also you said 2 compaqs failed for power jack assembly,does this mean the machine is nearing its end?thanks.jg

I replaced the power jacks in the two units that failed. It was about a 60 dollar part and of course I did the labor myself as I've been repairing hardware for many years. Disassembling and reassembling a laptop is not for the faint of heart, and if you don't have a VERY handy tendency and have never done it before, I'm not sure I'd recommend trying.

While I haven't looked, I'm sure there are plenty, or at least some, teardown Youtube videos on the CQ series laptops if you think you want to try it.

Honestly, if it still does it with the battery pack removed and plugged into AC power, I seriously doubt the battery is the problem, but who knows, I've seen stranger things and if the battery is giving you funky test results it's likely it needs to be replaced anyhow. For future reference, I never buy ANY replacement laptop batteries except those sold by Anker, a well known and trusted brand to me. Usually, with higher capacity and reserve specifications, and high quality cells, than even the OEM unit.

I'd bet the power jack on that unit probably cannot be sourced for the same kind of price I used to get them for back when they were a common model. That has been many years ago now. Likely, if you can find them new, they will be significantly more expensive, but maybe not. Who knows. Sometimes you get lucky and find a bargain.

If the power jack IS bad, or the motherboard IS bad, then in all honestly I'd recommend you simply find a replacement unit if you are unable to fix it yourself, and maybe even if you are able to, as the investment might be better put towards a newer unit. If the problem is just the CMOS battery, which it could be, then great.

CMOS battery is usually located inside the compartment on the back where the hard drive/SSD and memory are located. Finding a teardown video will be helpful in showing you exactly where.

I didn't watch the whole video to see if it shows what I'd like for it to show, but it might be helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC0JHmDEmvU