[SOLVED] Sleep or Shutdown?

Solution
Sleep puts the pc and monitor into a very low power mode very close to full power off.
Even power off still has power to the motherboard which allows it to detect the pressing of the power button.
Only if you disconnect the psu from the wall will you have full power off.
Then, some argue that electrical components do not like to be powered on/off .

I very much like sleep(no hibernate)
It is essentially power off, but sleep/wake is only a handful of seconds.
Hibernate writes the contents of ram to a drive.
That is not necessary if you were willing to power down in the first place.

I don't know that there is any safety issue, pro/con.
Windows can start up a pc from any state except unplugged to do maintenance while you sleep. If...

Mista Krank

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 23, 2020
Safe from what ? Safest way is off with power disconnected. Sleep, hibernate and just shut off is same thing, just changes how it's (re)started.
Safe from what ? Safest way is off with power disconnected. Sleep, hibernate and just shut off is same thing, just changes how it's (re)started.
I was asking because I seen people talking about that their pc wouldn't get out from sleep mode

While turning off never makes really remarkable issues, except for maybe hardware degrading a bit faster, the sleep mode p*ssed me off numerous times with even some buggy things at some startups and the hibernate mode seemed rather useless, so I simply have quit it with them. With an SSD and W10, I don't feel much slower than if using sleep/hibernate, so both are things I've turned off from power management and I don't use them manually at all. And if there аre thunders/electricity issue and you don't hear/know about it, you may really feel like you wish you had your PC turned off, otherwise you may wonder why your internet doesn't work or motherboard restarts itself whenever it wants.

Reactions: CountMike
Sleep puts the pc and monitor into a very low power mode very close to full power off.
Even power off still has power to the motherboard which allows it to detect the pressing of the power button.
Only if you disconnect the psu from the wall will you have full power off.
Then, some argue that electrical components do not like to be powered on/off .

I very much like sleep(no hibernate)
It is essentially power off, but sleep/wake is only a handful of seconds.
Hibernate writes the contents of ram to a drive.
That is not necessary if you were willing to power down in the first place.

I don't know that there is any safety issue, pro/con.
Windows can start up a pc from any state except unplugged to do maintenance while you sleep. If windows can, perhaps a hacker can too.
I would not worry about that.

If you use sleep, normally all it takes to wake is a keyboard press.
If you have cats, change to disable keyboard wake up in favor of the power button.

Solution