Sleep Timer Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hash3m

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
TVs have had this feature for decades. How can I schedule Sleep mode?

• Scheduling Shut Down, Hibernate, or Standby is not what I'm trying to accomplish.
• I would like to dial in the amount of time before Windows puts the computer into Sleep mode.
• This should not be a daily schedule.

Example: I play a 1h:45m movie when I go to bed. Therefore, I would like the computer to put itself to sleep in 1h:50m. How?

hash3m

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
Thanks, but that looks like it achieves a delay upon accessing batch files. I'm trying to have the computer put itself into Sleep mode... There are guides all over on how to schedule Shut Down, but I need to avoid Shut Down and instead schedule Sleep mode.

hash3m

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
Thank you pathasse, but I have found that before as well. It's one of the things I'm trying not to do. That timer schedules a Shut Down, which is precisely what I'm trying to avoid. Windows 7 doesn't have Standby, and I want to avoid Hibernate as well.

What I'm trying to accomplish should be easy: schedule Sleep mode. If anyone knows the exact arguments needed to accomplish this with Windows Task Scheduler, that would be ideal. Again, I do NOT want to schedule a Shut Down, or a Hibernate, or a Stand By.

pathasse

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
IC, I have looked b4 for what you are asking, because of the same situation, but with music and bedtime. I will look again, buy you may have to write your own script for this.

Catsrules

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
Ok i might have a solution
I try this on my computer and it wouldn't come back from sleep. and i had to reset :( . But i have been having some problems with sleep doing this, so it is very possible that it is just me.
Anyways here is your sleep/Hibernate command.

C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 0,1,0 (if your windows directory is on the C drive)

when i first try this in it when to Hibernation so your will need to disable Hibernation so it if forced to go in to sleep.

to do this, go a administrative command prompt. (just type in cmd on your search and right click and run as admin

then type in "powercfg -h off" now Hibernation is turned off and your can go to your task scheduler and put in that C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 0,1,0 command and set your time and your are done!!

Hopefully your will have better luck on your computer then i did on mine

mi1ez

Splendid

lol. First paragraph fail on my behalf!

hash3m

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
Thanks guys for all your help, though mi1ez that looks like what pathasse posted earlier. From reading that thread however, it appears that this is another in a long list of oversights by MicroFail.

Apparently, there is no simple automatic way to schedule Sleep mode (which works completely different from Hibernate or Standby). Yet again, Microsoft has taken computing back a decade (the first TV I ever owned had a sleep timer).

If anyone happens to script a command to auto-execute the Sleep function from the start menu, or if anyone finds out how Windows executes Sleep mode when it is chosen from the start menu, or if anyone finds out anything about Scheduling Sleep mode, please post it here. I'm sure, from the download counts of that program and from Google results, there are plenty of thousands of people looking for a Sleep Timer.

hash3m

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
I tried it. It doesn't work, it says it doesn't support my system (windows 7 64bit). Anyways, it costs money.

Putting the computer into sleep mode requires nothing but a click of a button. Does anyone know what is executed when that button is clicked, so that I can automate and schedule it?

hash3m

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
Thank you, but that isn't what I'm looking for... at least that has a sleep option though! lol. That program is BS though, all it is is the windows power settings. So the sleep option was just based on how long the computer isn't in use, which certainly isn't the same as scheduling a timed sleep mode.

Thanks though!

G

If you are tryin to expand the timer of when you computer sleeps , this is what i did . i have a windows 7 computer i clicked on the start , then there is a box under every thing that is pinned to the start menu and it say Searh programs and files . In that box type Sleep , then you will see from there .

Status
Not open for further replies.