[SOLVED] Sleeper pc question

Mar 10, 2021
Ok so this is my first time building a pc and i rlly want to build a sleeper pc, but i have a few questions. One is that ive seen on yt that people have to break apart some parts of the case to fit in the pc parts and the problem is that i dont have anything to mod the pc case like that. Also, would i need to reconsider the size of the pc parts? In addition, is there any like specific retro pc where i dont have to worry about modding and i can just build like a normal build?

Solution
There's the dilemma. Old vs New. Old cases, vintage cases etc simply were not built with modern equipment in mind. Every old case I can think of had optical drive bays, many had permanent hdd bays etc. Airflow was a laughable thought if it was even considered.

So many of the 'breakages' you are seeing on YT are necessary modifications to bring an old case upto newer design standards. In some instances, it wasn't even really a case as most would consider, but an ancient desktop case that laid flat on the desk and had a 30lb CRT resting on top of it. Or mini-fridge, microwaves, 1950's radios, desks, filing cabinets, boom boxes etc.

Bassman999

Prominent
Feb 27, 2021
Ok so this is my first time building a pc and i rlly want to build a sleeper pc, but i have a few questions. One is that ive seen on yt that people have to break apart some parts of the case to fit in the pc parts and the problem is that i dont have anything to mod the pc case like that. Also, would i need to reconsider the size of the pc parts? In addition, is there any like specific retro pc where i dont have to worry about modding and i can just build like a normal build?
Do you have a case already, or do you know what case you will be using?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's the dilemma. Old vs New. Old cases, vintage cases etc simply were not built with modern equipment in mind. Every old case I can think of had optical drive bays, many had permanent hdd bays etc. Airflow was a laughable thought if it was even considered.

So many of the 'breakages' you are seeing on YT are necessary modifications to bring an old case upto newer design standards. In some instances, it wasn't even really a case as most would consider, but an ancient desktop case that laid flat on the desk and had a 30lb CRT resting on top of it. Or mini-fridge, microwaves, 1950's radios, desks, filing cabinets, boom boxes etc.

Solution