Sli 670 PSU (650w)

horton91

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
I have been considering getting another 670 (sli) to add to my pc. I have a couple questions concerning if my psu unit will be sufficient HX650. I have already used extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite as a reference to how much power draw my pc will use which is around 480w. I’m more worried about the amps that my power supply has which are 52 if I believe. I have read that for sli 670s you should have in the 60 range for amps on your power supply unit. I was just curious on your thoughts on this issue. (I am aware of guru3ds review also.)
Pc specs:

I7 3770
Asus Sabertooth z77
GTX 670
2 HDDs
H100i
5 120m fans
2 140m fans
HX 650 psu

mace200200

Honorable

Oh wow, I was just going by what he said he found online, if your system's really pulling that much power than 650w would be too close, 750w would be the minimum I'd feel good with.

I agree. I should add i am running a rasa kit and cpu is overclocked to 4.8GHZ so his might draw less ;)

It will work. I know GTX 560 Ti's were SLIed on HX 620 (old one), and GTX 670 uses less power. Even while adding maximum power consumption, there's no way you'll hit the limit. Don't forget HX series PSUs are one of the best power supply units in the world.

Don't forget he has an Ivy Bridge CPU, which has lower TDP, and it's non-K one, so there's no overclocking. I'd estimate him hovering around 550 watts.

G

nah, don't back peddle so fast, the big guy has a bit of overclocking going on that would increase his power consumption quite a bit.

but *ahem* what pray tell were you doing bigcyco when you measured? and was it from the wall?

A rasa kit is a water cooling kit. Also, I do agree he is doing quite a bit of overclocking with this CPU there. He will have more power draw from his CPU and the fact he is using a water cooling system would draw more then your standard fan. You will be fine with a single 670 if you start to overclock it can change how much power your computer is drawing and in the even you were to add a 2nd 670 you would possibly want something larger then 650 however most get a single card and stick with it till the next large update gpu wise comes out and with the current trend of graphic card power consumption its on the downturn rather then the up.

Your HX650 is a highly efficient power supply with enough power for your 670 sli setup. However crazy 4.8ghz overclocking would change that :kaola: