SLI 680 or 780Ti on MicroATX Board

Promethus

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
Hi there, I've got an ASUS ROG Gene-Z. It's a MicroATX board and I currently have two 680s on it. One ASUS DirectCU II and another EVGA. The problem I've got is that the EVGA is a blower type fan, and it has to go on top because the ASUS one is huge and takes three slots so it covers the second PCIE slot. So the ASUS blows its air out of its backplate right into the EVGA card, so they get loud.

My current feelings are to sell the 680s and get a 780Ti and stick to one card until I upgrade the motherboard to full ATX. I know I'd lose some performance, but the loudness, power consumption, and heat would all go down. Thoughts?

Edit: Oh also, another possibility would be getting a new motherboard of course, but I really don't want to reinstall windows. I read that if I go from the same chipset that I already have, all I have to do is uninstall any programs related to this motherboard and it should work. Is that true and/or advisable?

Sounds like a big waste of money to me.

Unless you find the heat/noise unacceptable and got the money to spend.

Changing the board will mean a new copy of Windows, unless you have the retail version that allows you to transfer the license to a new computer.

Promethus

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

Wells it wouldn't be that expensive, I can sell my 680s for around 350$ each. So that would make it something like a 30$ purchase.

And I really dislike the noise and heat. The noise is jarring, like it sounds like an airplane engine in my room when I play Battlefield 4 or something along those lines.

If you are absolutely certain that a new full sized board will kill the noise and heat, then go for it. As far as I know changing it will require a new OS for the new board.

Otherwise just sell your 780s for a 780 Ti.

Promethus

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
Oh no, I'm not leaning towards the new motherboard, cause as far as I know you're right and it would need new windows. I'm leaning towards selling the 680s, which seems like much less a hassle compared to a new motherboard.