SLI 780 or Upgrade?

skyline4727

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2013
I currently own an EVGA GTX 780 SC and I game on three monitors at 5760x1080. My framerates are acceptable for me right now around 30-40 for games such as AC4 and Batman Arkham series on max settings with 2x MSAA. Since the 9xx series came out, the prices on 780s has really dropped so I was thinking of getting a second one.

I am planning on keeping this setup for the next few years so I want something that will allow me to play on max settings or at least high visual settings. For me framerates aren't as important as eye candy. As long as they're over 30fps, I'm good.

I've been seeing a lot of people saying that 3GB of VRAM isn't enough for playing newer games like Watch Dogs or Shadow of Mordor though. Sites like HardOCP were saying that 3GB makes Watch Dogs laggy while it loads in new textures even though the average framerate is over 40 usually.

Will 3GB of VRAM bottleneck me with an SLI setup? It would be a lot of raw power but I don't know if the memory subsytem can keep up. I would go for the 780 6GB version but that is still $600 vs $300 for a 780 and some people were saying Watch Dogs is badly optimized so it still has frame spikes even on that.

P.S. My processor is an i5-4670K at 4.5Ghz and I have a Thermaltake 850W PSU.

Thaisnang

Honorable
Go for it. There should be no problem. Shadow of Mordor can be played even with 1GB VRAM. It's just for the Ultra HD texture that you need 6 GB of VRAM. And Watchdogs is laggy even on a TITAN.

Brillis Wuce

Distinguished
Throw in another 780. 3 GB for 5760x1080 should have no problems in the foreseeable future. If it were 5760x2160, then yes, an upgrade would be necessary.

FYI - Shadow of Mordor has a setting that requires 6GB of VRAM, but that's the top-notch, overkill option with crazy sampling and textures. The game runs fine on normal texture settings with 2GB of VRAM, so 3 would be just fine.