SLI and Graphics Cards work on different motherboard, but not mine

Jun 30, 2018
I recently bought a GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8G Graphics card and an MSI Bridge to connect to my AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Xtreme Edition 8G Graphics card via SLI. I connected it properly and reinstalled all the drivers on my PC, however the 'Configure SLI' option in my Nvidia control panel doesn't show up. I tested my cards and SLI bridge on a friends Motherboard and it worked. What could be causing it to not be recognized on my PC?

Solution
SLI requires a minimum of x8 bandwidth. It seems that its a limitation of using a 16 lane cpu on a x299 platform which is designed for cpus with 28/44 lanes. I'm guessing either the board is incapable of splitting the lanes down to x8x8 or there may be a way to change it in the settings.

If you look at your manual at page 11 the 3rd table relating to using a 16 lane cpu it has a note saying 2 way configuration is available for crossfire only.
Jun 30, 2018

CPU: Intel i7-7740x
Motherboard: Aorus Gaming 3 X299
Ram: 32GB Corsair Vengeance

The motherboard manual has an Nvidia SLI configuration instruction page and i have checked it on the website. It does Support SLI

Are both cards detected by your system? (Individually at least in device manager?)
Stupid question but they are slotted in the right pci-e slot?
After looking at your motherboards manual I saw something curious but I MUST be reading it wrong as I can't imagine its possible-its almost as if its saying cpus with 16 pci e lanes won't support sli? It has a diagram saying it will run at x8x4 making it only able to work for crossfire.

Jun 30, 2018

Yeah both the GPUs work perfectly fine. When they are both connected to the slot that the manual says they are both detected in the device manager. Ran them through the GPUZ program and they are working at optimum levels. The computer just does not show any option to enable SLI

Jun 30, 2018

How did you get that that is the problem? My CPU is a 16 PCI-e lane max cpu so when the cards are connected and running in SLI, one is at x8 and the other at x4. The motherboard manual also states that this is what they will be running at, and that SLI will work if it is. So I'm not sure if that's the problem

SLI requires a minimum of x8 bandwidth. It seems that its a limitation of using a 16 lane cpu on a x299 platform which is designed for cpus with 28/44 lanes. I'm guessing either the board is incapable of splitting the lanes down to x8x8 or there may be a way to change it in the settings.

If you look at your manual at page 11 the 3rd table relating to using a 16 lane cpu it has a note saying 2 way configuration is available for crossfire only.

Solution
Jun 30, 2018

So why is it that the 2 GPUs work still even in the 8x/4x config, but the sli can't connect? Is it just the way they've made it that it is minimum 8x?

Jun 30, 2018

AHH! You legend, thanks for that. I did some research on that and you're right.