SLI Arrives on AMD 9-Series Motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.

desolair

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
[citation][nom]bobdozer[/nom]It's because Bulldozer smashes Sandy Bridge in gaming and not allowing it would have been suicide for Nvidia.[/citation]

I'll believe it when i see it. I think AMD is just too far behind at this point.

aznguy0028

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
[citation][nom]desolair[/nom]I'll believe it when i see it. I think AMD is just too far behind at this point.[/citation]
Exactly, I'll believe it when I see it as well. I would love to see AMD come back with something amazing. Imo, it will be damn hard though. AMD hasn't released something great for gamers in a LONG time, and Intel's prices are not that high for the 2xxx k series either. I got my i52500k for 194$ (tax included)from Microcenter.

If Bulldozer can be ~200$ and performs better than the i5's, it will be nothing short of a miracle.

G

I doubt Bulldozer will smash Sandy Bridge I have a I7-2600k and off of air it overclocks to 4.5ghz with no issue and so will any other I7-2600k if you have proper air flow in your case. This isn't P4 days when AMD was the best. Intel has left AMD in the Dust the last 5 plus years.

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Oh, sure, because not enough people game on that platform, lets make it harder to game on that platform! Self-fulfilling prophecy.

Way to ask for a judge to find you guilty of anti-competitive practices buddy.

Full Disclosure: The bulk of my systems are Intel / Nvidia.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Translation: NVidia found out people were doing it unofficially anyway and decided "now was the time" to collect licensing checks.

Also, what's with the Intel fanboys? You can't knock Bulldozer until it's at least available. Sure Sandy Bridge is looking pretty strong (now that it's fixed), but there's no reason AMD can't do better. AMD has still done well in the mid to low end builds, and offers pretty good price/performance, they just stopped dominating once Intel got serious. Don't forget what made them get serious to begin with, no one wants AMD to fail.

pelov

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
[citation][nom]mister g[/nom]I think the SLI thing was just to spite Intel, with whom some animosity remains since their recent break-up over Nehalem.[/citation]

Nvidia is also losing ground fast to AMD GPUs. Remember tom's recent "best gpu for the money" breakdown? As it stands currently, AMD GPUs outperform and draw less power from nearly all similarly priced intel counterparts. To boot they're incredible in crossfire.

Hopefully we see AMD CPUs perform well. The statistics from AMD have been 50% faster than phenom II and 25%-ish faster than the old corei7's, which would essentially put them smack dab in the middle of sandy bridge territory.

And don't expect benchmarks before release. AMD has never done this and stays tight-lipped.

maddy143ded

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
this does mean that we can expect something great from the Bulldozer platform......
i for one cant wait for bulldozer to arrive.
though i am not planning to do a sli or a Xfire in the near future, my next upgrade is definetly going to include a mother board that can provide me with the option for SLI/Xfire.
and mobo upgrade is long overdue. 785G platform with ddr2 ram is really hitting my performance......

maddy143ded

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
yes intel fanboys should definetly want Bulldozer to kill Sandy Bridge in terms of performance,,,,, only the Consumer suffers in a market where there is no competition.

[citation][nom]kinggraves[/nom]Translation: NVidia found out people were doing it unofficially anyway and decided "now was the time" to collect licensing checks.Also, what's with the Intel fanboys? You can't knock Bulldozer until it's at least available. Sure Sandy Bridge is looking pretty strong (now that it's fixed), but there's no reason AMD can't do better. AMD has still done well in the mid to low end builds, and offers pretty good price/performance, they just stopped dominating once Intel got serious. Don't forget what made them get serious to begin with, no one wants AMD to fail.[/citation]

Actually, giving it a lil' thought it makes perfect sense.

At the end, it seems that Intel is going to sit back over a corner and watch ARM getting stronger (and prolly spawning more RISC archs). So, AMD starts with ARM development again (the one that Meyer dropped/sold to Qualcomm if I recall correctly) and still have x86 licensing. Imagine getting something in between a CISC, RISC and parallel GPU archs. Maybe 3 archs on die, why not? XD

This looks very good for nVidia actually, even more than the short term possible benefit AMD might get from SLI itself. Oh, and that's actually thinking down the road; SLI might be a first step into working together (again).

Cheers!

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]Yuka[/nom]Actually, giving it a lil' thought it makes perfect sense.At the end, it seems that Intel is going to sit back over a corner and watch ARM getting stronger (and prolly spawning more RISC archs). So, AMD starts with ARM development again (the one that Meyer dropped/sold to Qualcomm if I recall correctly) and still have x86 licensing. Imagine getting something in between a CISC, RISC and parallel GPU archs. Maybe 3 archs on die, why not? XDThis looks very good for nVidia actually, even more than the short term possible benefit AMD might get from SLI itself. Oh, and that's actually thinking down the road; SLI might be a first step into working together (again).Cheers![/citation]
When did AMD and Nvidia ever work together?

tajisi

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
[citation][nom]pelov[/nom]Nvidia is also losing ground fast to AMD GPUs. Remember tom's recent "best gpu for the money" breakdown? As it stands currently, AMD GPUs outperform and draw less power from nearly all similarly priced intel counterparts. To boot they're incredible in crossfire. Hopefully we see AMD CPUs perform well. The statistics from AMD have been 50% faster than phenom II and 25%-ish faster than the old corei7's, which would essentially put them smack dab in the middle of sandy bridge territory. And don't expect benchmarks before release. AMD has never done this and stays tight-lipped.[/citation]

I still remember certain AMD numbers that bragged that the high end triple/quad core Phenoms could beat out lower clocked, low cached Core 2 Duos. That being said, if they have to hit 4 GHZ with an 8 core Bulldozer to be 25% faster than an old i7 I'm staying with Intel.

[citation][nom]mister g[/nom]When did AMD and Nvidia ever work together?[/citation]

Well, they had the nForce chipsets for AMD back in the day (I still have my nF4 SLI) wich were the best thing around if I recall it right (not implying co development here, btw). Oh, but the "again" wasn't for the "development" part, maybe I abused the term in there; my bad. Just trying to keep the hopes high for us, consumers :p

Cheers!

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]Yuka[/nom]Well, they had the nForce chipsets for AMD back in the day (I still have my nF4 SLI) wich were the best thing around if I recall it right (not implying co development here, btw). Oh, but the "again" wasn't for the "development" part, maybe I abused the term in there; my bad. Just trying to keep the hopes high for us, consumers Cheers![/citation]
Thanks, that was before AMD bought ATI and became Nvidia's archnemesis
:-D

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
[citation][nom]tajisi[/nom]I still remember certain AMD numbers that bragged that the high end triple/quad core Phenoms could beat out lower clocked, low cached Core 2 Duos. That being said, if they have to hit 4 GHZ with an 8 core Bulldozer to be 25% faster than an old i7 I'm staying with Intel.[/citation]
What if they can hit 4GHz at stock and easily overclock to 5GHz on air?

I'm fully 100% behind this. I'm using two GTX285's and a Phenom II x4 940 BE @3.6Ghz all running on water. I've been really wanted to upgrade my mobo / CPU / RAM combo but I want to stay with AMD CPU's (I have a personal aversion to anything with an Intel sticker). Being limited to mobo choices that are almost two years old has been a real downer. Now I finally can get a AMD main-board that will support both my GPU's. Also need a board that has 2 x 16 lane PCI-e slots and at least one x4 slot, planning on buying a revodrive x2.

Next upgrade will be
AMD 900 mobo + AMD AM3 CPU and / or Fusion (depending on whats makes more sense)
16GB DDR3
GTX285 x 2
Revodrive x2 for system drive
360GB SATA II x 4 for additional data storage

Ohh and FYI, AMD CPU's have been RISC since the K5. They have a front end x86 instruction decoder that translated the CISC instructions into RISC micro-ops then dispatch's them through the various execution engines. It would be trivial for them to design in an ARM instruction decoder that did the same thing. You would have 1 core with two instruction decoders, would be interesting to see that happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS