SLI Arrives on AMD 9-Series Motherboards

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is very promising. A Phenom II X4 970 would be considerably faster than what I have now, which is meeting my needs. I think it is safe to assume that Bulldozer will be faster than any Phenom II; it too should meet my needs. Buying an AM3+ mobo looks like a solid upgrade plan, even if BD can't match SB.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
OK for people saying amd is to far behind.. That's just plain stupid. They know what they have to beat. It's that simple. Now if they do are not as all up in the air still. And until somebody shows me some proof otherwise you're ALL full of crap (no matter what side you're on).

Now as far as the article.. Well maybe nvidia is learning something (although I'm still gonna stay clear of them. I go with what works for me, and both times I've bought nvidia it has not been them).

shreeharsha

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
This doesn't make sense, as people who purchase AMD platform are AMD fans & will sure go for AMD graphics.
I have never seen Nvidia fan wanting for AMD cpu

<= Is NVIDIA user who use's AMD CPU's

I've never liked the Radeon drivers, they've come leaps and bounds the past four years but I feel their not as polished as the NVidia UDA. This is of course a personal decision and everyone's entitled to their own views.

I won't use Intel because of their business ethics, nuff said.

idlerp

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
It also said there will be no support for Nvidia's nF200 bridge chip which was designed to work with Socket A AMD processor and DDR333/400 memory.

Wow. I'm surprised no one had pointed this out immediately. Not only did the author misidentify what the NF200 is, but he lifted it directly from a forum post on overclock.net. The NF200 that the article should be referring to is the PCI-E 2.0 bridge chip, not the NF220 chipset that was originally made for Socket A Athlons. He directly copied the description from the 4th post in the thread below.

http://www.overclock.net/intel-motherboards/600896-what-nvidia-nf200.html

vk_87

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
[citation][nom]kinggraves[/nom]Translation: NVidia found out people were doing it unofficially anyway and decided "now was the time" to collect licensing checks.[/citation]

True. However its high time to remove the PhysX limitation (of not allowing an nVIDIA card to work as a PhysX card if an AMD GPU is used as the main GPU).

Benihana

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
I'm an nVidia man myself, and used to use AMD quite exclusively. However, the lack of proper nVidia support combined with Intel's CPU superiority made me recently purchase an Intel instead of AMD.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]mister g[/nom]I think the SLI thing was just to spite Intel, with whom some animosity remains since their recent break-up over Nehalem.[/citation]
[citation][nom]mister g[/nom]When did AMD and Nvidia ever work together?[/citation]
[citation][nom]shreeharsha[/nom]This doesn't make sense, as people who purchase AMD platform are AMD fans & will sure go for AMD graphics.I have never seen Nvidia fan wanting for AMD cpu[/citation]Wow you guys have a serious short memory. The original partnership was AMD and Nvidia, buy you don't remember "AMD Business Platform" right? And the next partnership was Intel and ATI, you don't remember that X38 was launched over a year late as a makeup for Intel's dropped CrossFire XPress 3200 partnership. AMD only bought ATI because Nvidia wouldn't deal, so all this talk of "never" and "always" is simply ridiculous.

Mathos

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
[citation][nom]palladin9479[/nom]Ohh and FYI, AMD CPU's have been RISC since the K5. They have a front end x86 instruction decoder that translated the CISC instructions into RISC micro-ops then dispatch's them through the various execution engines. It would be trivial for them to design in an ARM instruction decoder that did the same thing. You would have 1 core with two instruction decoders, would be interesting to see that happen.[/citation]

Lol, bout time someone else remembered and pointed that out. It's one of the main reasons why they had difficulty ramping up speeds in the k7/k8 days. Also one of the main reasons they don't really OC as well as the Intel Chips do.

And since there seem to be quite a few people around here with short memories, or maybe they just aren't old enough to remember. From the Athlon K7 to the Athlon 64 X2 and early phenom line up, Nvidia chipsets were the chipset of choice for AMD platforms. In fact, before AMD bought ATI, for a while they were the only real chipset maker worth considering for AMD systems. Except for the run of Via KT chipsets prior to the Nforce 2 obviously. Wasn't till the 790fx chipset came out that you saw AMD users switch away from nvidia.

pelov

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Nvidia chipsets had a horrible reputation of producing an incredible amount of heat and drawing wayyyyy too much power. As far back as I can remember, i stuck to VIA chipsets for that reason (and as did many). If you wanted a ferrari that can hit 200 mph but only go 5k miles and blow up in an massive fireball you went nvidia, but I have 2 rigs running VIA chipsets (and MSI mobos) that are going on their 7 and 8 years. They didn't overclock as well, but that wasn't my intention.

Personally, i wish nvidia would still manufacture chipsets for AMD mobos (intel kicked nvidia to the curb, but nvidia decided not to make them for AMD), because the having choices would be a great thing.

jasonpwns

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
[citation][nom]palladin9479[/nom]<= Is NVIDIA user who use's AMD CPU'sI've never liked the Radeon drivers, they've come leaps and bounds the past four years but I feel their not as polished as the NVidia UDA. This is of course a personal decision and everyone's entitled to their own views.I won't use Intel because of their business ethics, nuff said.[/citation]

Agreed, I feel the same exact way about their drivers. So I use an AMD processor and a nVidia graphics card.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]pelov[/nom]Nvidia chipsets had a horrible reputation of producing an incredible amount of heat and drawing wayyyyy too much power. As far back as I can remember, i stuck to VIA chipsets for that reason (and as did many). If you wanted a ferrari that can hit 200 mph but only go 5k miles and blow up in an massive fireball you went nvidia, but I have 2 rigs running VIA chipsets (and MSI mobos) that are going on their 7 and 8 years. They didn't overclock as well, but that wasn't my intention. Personally, i wish nvidia would still manufacture chipsets for AMD mobos (intel kicked nvidia to the curb, but nvidia decided not to make them for AMD), because the having choices would be a great thing.[/citation]VIA's old chipsets almost killed AMD.

PhoneyVirus

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
This will be good for both company's in the long run specially for Nvidia, I guest they should of keep there big mouths shut when Intel start talking about Larrabee (microarchitecture)serve them right Next time shut-up, why because Intel will do anything to take you down.

gumbology

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
[citation][nom]idlerp[/nom]Wow. I'm surprised no one had pointed this out immediately. Not only did the author misidentify what the NF200 is, but he lifted it directly from a forum post on overclock.net. The NF200 that the article should be referring to is the PCI-E 2.0 bridge chip, not the NF220 chipset that was originally made for Socket A Athlons. He directly copied the description from the 4th post in the thread below.http://www.overclock.net/intel-mot [...] nf200.html[/citation]

Lol. Nice.

I also noticed this, above: "We’ve been recently hearing chants of 'SLI for AMD CPUs,' and figured that now is a great time to do it,"

Um... perhaps i've missed something, but...

I have an old GA-K8N-Pro-SLI. That's a socket 939 AMD board, with SLI.

That thing is like 7 years old. AMD+SLI isn't new.

However... AMD *CHIPSET* + "officially supported" SLI, is new. There is nothing at all stopping anyone from buying an AMD/Nvidia board. They've been making those for YEARS! lol.

This author should probably not publish any further articles, until their comprehension rate can be "OC'd."

Status
Not open for further replies.