SLi confusion

mrthaggar

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2007
Hi all, my first post here so I'll try to make some sense :)

I'm looking to get a new mobo, processor, ram and graphics card.

Now I know I want a Core Duo 2, but I also want an SLi mobo, I'll probably be getting an 8800gts for the time being, then putting another one in in the future.

But on the motherboards, all I can find are Crossfire ones, why can't I seem to find an Intel SLi one?

I've been told that the Intel 965p is newer than the 975, but the 965s are a lot cheaper, is there a major difference?

Anyone got any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Tony.

baligavinod

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
Hi all, my first post here so I'll try to make some sense :)

I'm looking to get a new mobo, processor, ram and graphics card.

Now I know I want a Core Duo 2, but I also want an SLi mobo, I'll probably be getting an 8800gts for the time being, then putting another one in in the future.

But on the motherboards, all I can find are Crossfire ones, why can't I seem to find an Intel SLi one?

I've been told that the Intel 965p is newer than the 975, but the 965s are a lot cheaper, is there a major difference?

Anyone got any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Tony.

965 boards are a lot cheaper as well..but they wont support SLI...i think u ll have to go for 650i or 680i boards, which are expensive but support sli :)

Howard_Stern

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Yes you can get the Intel 975 chipset, however they will be crossfire. I don't know of any intel chipset that performs SLi.

Regards,
Howard

mrthaggar

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2007
Ahh ok that makes sense now.

What's the reason for Intel chipsets not supporting SLi?

Is it just that nvidia want people to use the nforce chipsets

rammedstein

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
pretty much, also, nvidia aren't giving any info about there "special" sli chipsets because they don't want the public to know its a fraud because sli hack drivers prove that performance is just as good on a non sli board. nvidia thinks "well hey, we have a very popular gfx card, we want to sell more of our mobos, lets make it so that our cards only work together on our mobos, since our cards are loved soo much that won't be much of a problem"

mrthaggar

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2007
So does that mean that's possible to get two nvida gfx cards, say 8800s for example, to work on an non-sli Intel chipset mobo?

Providing it has two 16x pci-e slots?

inefX

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
NVIDIA's SLi based video cards go extremely well with their boards cause the nforce chipset enables advanced capabilities being unleashed and more throttle in performance. They demonstrated this on their official website in which flash related diagrams show improvements in memory transfers, northbridge enhancements, the PCI-e concept of delivering performance speeds e.t.c. Reviews show that Geforce based SLi cards perform much better on motherboards that have nforce 4-? chipsets, either you accept that fact or not, it's your call.

Eviltwin17

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
personally i dont think you should go with SLi because crossfire is so much better in terms of performance. SLi does not offer nearly the amount of performance you pay for, crossfire adds more bang for the buck. But yeah i see you want to move into dx10 but if you just wait a little while longer ati will have its full line of dx10 cards out

thats just what i think, you dont have to do it :)

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
all intel boards do... with a driver hack... but yeah, go for the 680i or 650i, proably the 650i...
That may have worked in the past with Geforce 7 series products, but Geforce 8 series drivers are still too new; there's no way you'd find a working Geforce 8 series driver hack for one of those boards.