SLI Driver crash (Witcher 3, Fallout 4, etc.) PSU cause?

Yuckie

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015
Hello there!

After update a load of things on my computer and rma'd one of my card, I still have issues about driver crashes in some games (usualy the big ones) after sometimes 5mins, or a couple of hours.

The thing is, I have 2 x 780 ti in SLI a Asus card, ~ 300W
Aaaaaand a Gigabyte windforce ~ 600W

My PSU is a Corsair AX1200i

Note that when I downclock the cards, the crashes are very less likely, could it be because my PSU isn't making enough power?

Thanks!

Yuckie

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015

Well I have these crashes since I bought and SLI'd the gigabyte with my asus. Single card works fine
I tried a whole lot of drivers, and none of them worked. (Downgrading and so on)

I underclocked the cards to like ~5% (875 mhz) (928 base clock)
But the are not OC factory models.

Sav4

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2013
Temps ok on the cards?
Have you tried 347. Drivers think they were the better sli ones.
Try benchmarking the cards to see if they crashes if they don't it's more than likely a driver issue lots of people complaining about it with sli

Yuckie

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015

Temps on the first top card (the asus one) has only one fan and heats a hell lot. Like 80-85 degrees.
The gigabyte one is allright, with 3 fans it goes to 60-70.
I'll do a rollback and a benchmark on both drivers tomorrow and give you an answer on this. (Benchmark underclocked or at regular clock?)

Yuckie

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015

So I used Unigine Heaven Benchmark 4.0 and everything ran smoothly, had a score of 4833. (Driver version 259.00)

Now if I want to use a 347 driver, is it okay if I use Windows 10? I mean, it isn't specified, it does not go past 8.1, maybe it isn't compatible or something.

Sav4

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2013
Ok so that's a good start . I didn't realise you were on win 10 a lot of games are having issues with it in sli .
Try a driver that is win 10 the first one or second one that's available from the driver list. Benchmark if it runs fine the game or driver needs optimising for sli.
You are doing clean installs and only driver and physics ?

Yuckie

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015

Yeah well I was having this problem back in 8.1, so I thought switching to Win 10 would fix it. (but no, nothing happened)
Had a crash yesterday on 359.00 in witcher after 3 hours (with the older ones I just wasn't able to play) but tonight I've installed the most resent one, the 359.06 and didn't had any problems, didn't played a lot tough.

Let me try a bit more of the 359.06 in Witcher 3, see if it's alright ; give you an update of if it crashes or no. Sometimes it just happens randomly.
Will try at base clock, no underclock.

Yuckie

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015

Yes, always clean installs. Just got another crash in Witcher 3, my screen freezes, but the audio keeps playing in game. Saw that when the freeze happends, my gpu usage jumps to 0 for the 2 cards and well, I have a driver crash.
Don't think older drivers in Win 10 will fix my problem, to add that they have bad optimisations in SLI, but I will try them out in Witcher.

Update : Just got another one at -10% clock speed. Will try first drivers at Win 10 tonight, give you an update.

Sav4

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2013
Pretty sure you will have to wait for a decent sli driver you can also try the beta ones . Also check out the nvidia forums on the latest drivers and post your issue there they have staff there that can raise the issues with the driver team.

Yuckie

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015

Will do, i'll switch card for now because my Windforce is bottom and my top reference card gets hot as hell. But I was also thinking about is it maybe the bridge? I have a 120mm one but the cards are about 70mm far of each others, it's a cheap one (5$)