SLI GTX 560 Ti on 650w PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russosaur

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
So I have a corsair tx650 v2, I have been looking but cannot find a yes or no answer. In a few months when I get money I'm upgrading my CPU I5-2500k and getting another 560ti would my power supply be able to handle the upgrade? Also my psu has only 2 6+2 pin power connectors so I would have to use the molex adapters correct? Any help would be appreciated, also when is ivy bridge coming out?

Solution
It's going to be pretty close.

750w is the recommended for GTX 560Ti in SLI.

Corsair however makes very good quality PSU's. And from Guru3d's review:

Measured power consumption

System in IDLE = 201W
System Wattage with GPU in FULL Stress = 449W
Difference (GPU load) = 248W
Add average IDLE wattage ~ 50W
Subjective obtained GPU power consumption = ~ 298 Watts

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-560-ti-sli-review/14

I think over-clocking would be out of the question for both CPU and GPU's with a 650w PSU. But at stock speeds, SLI on a 650w SHOULD be ok.

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
It's going to be pretty close.

750w is the recommended for GTX 560Ti in SLI.

Corsair however makes very good quality PSU's. And from Guru3d's review:

Measured power consumption

System in IDLE = 201W
System Wattage with GPU in FULL Stress = 449W
Difference (GPU load) = 248W
Add average IDLE wattage ~ 50W
Subjective obtained GPU power consumption = ~ 298 Watts

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-560-ti-sli-review/14

I think over-clocking would be out of the question for both CPU and GPU's with a 650w PSU. But at stock speeds, SLI on a 650w SHOULD be ok.

Solution
For a system using two GeForce GTX 560 Ti graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 700 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 44 Amps or greater and that has at least four 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Your Corsair Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 (CMPSU-650TXV2), with its +12 Volt continuous current rating of 53 Amps, is electrical capable of powering your system with two GeForce GTX 560 Ti graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode. Since that power supply unit has only two 6+2 pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors you will have to use two dual 4-pin Molex to 6 pin PCI Express dongles usually included in the graphics card package.

My OC'd GTX560Ti's have been running OK on a Corsair 620HX for the last six months and I have had the CPU @4ghz a couple of times just to see the silly numbers and nothing has failed yet.

pezonator

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Interesting it works for you mousemonkey....

I know I'm going way back, but when I had 2 x GTX260 (also 5 hdd's and 6 fans), my 750w ThermalTake PSU couldn't handle it. One of my 260's refused to start up. Yes it was an older model and probably not the best but I still recommend a quality 750w psu over a 650w that "might be just ok" for SLI

You don't mention the Thermaltake 750W PSU model.

I can see a Thermaltake TR2 RX W0382RU or TRX-750M being a problem with two GeForce GTX 260 because those PSUs couldn't deliver any more than 580 Watts without generating out of spec noise and ripple levels that will cause erratic system behaviour.

Interesting, my water-cooled, overclocked I7-965 and pair of overclocked GTX 260's put a hell of a load on a 550 watt psu, but not enough to keep it from working.

That Logisys 480W Black Beauty (PS480D_BK) doesn't have any 6-pin PCIe power connectors. Its +12 Volt continuous current rating of 16 Amps is way too low to provide adequate power to the system running a GeForce 8800 GT.

Russosaur

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011

Thanks

Russosaur

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011

Would the stress on the PSU eventually lead to failure? I have only had this PSU for about 1-2 months, id rather keep it for a few years before needing a new one.
Right now i'm, not even using much of its power

As I've stated in one of my previous posts above:

Your Corsair Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 (CMPSU-650TXV2), with its +12 Volt continuous current rating of 53 Amps, is electrically more than capable of powering your system with two GeForce GTX 560 Ti graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode. Since that power supply unit has only two 6+2 pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors you will have to use two dual 4-pin Molex to 6 pin PCI Express power dongles usually included in the graphics card package.

Russosaur

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011

A simple Yes or No then some explanation on why you chose yes or no would be better then telling me stuff i know already.

AdrianPerry

Distinguished

That's a bit of an unfair statement. If you already knew all that information, you wouldn't need to ask if your PSU would be ok. Be thankful someone is taking the time to reply and help you understand your system and your requirements.

ko888 is basically saying, yes your 650w Corsair PSU will be fine.

Russosaur

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011

He missed my question completely, I asked if the stress on the PSU would cause it to be unstable. He stated before that I can run it.

Status
Not open for further replies.