hminh87

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2007
I need help finding a good motherboard fitting this system of mine. It have to be good at SLI/Crossfire, Overclocking and of course stable. I have a thing for Gigabyte motherboard and will pretty much be happy with any of them so please also say why it's good when you bringing up a name :D

About future updates possibility and suchs, screw them. I'm not the type to upgrade a part of the system.

CPU: Intel E8400
RAM: OZC Reaper CL4 PC6400
Gfx card: x2 ATI Radeon HD3870 512MB or x2 Nvidia Geforce 8800GT

Topcover

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
The msi 750i board from what i have heard does well with oc ing and since you will need a new processor socket for nahalem you might as well not spend tons of money on a mobo you won't be able to upgrade in a few months.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130159&Tpk=msi%2b750i

It will not support crossfire though someone more familiar with intel and over clocking can point you in a good direction there hopefully

hminh87

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2007
I've seen people complaining about the Nforce chipset so I guess I want to stay away from it for a while.
Pretty much I have decided that the system will utilize two Radeon HD 3870 cards Crossfire. For that I've been looking for a good X38 board. X48 seems a little bit unnecessary right now since I don't really need those new features anyway.

So, Gigabyte-X38-DS4 vs Gigabyte-X38-DQ6. What is the different between these two? Some people wrote DQ6 has better power regulator, is it true?

Those of you building new INtel systems, keep in mind you wont be able to upgrade to 45nm Nehalem because it will require a new socket.

....because we know all about how well Phenom upgrades on a AM2 board.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

OP - You are going to have to decide Crossfire *or* SLI. If you want SLI, then you will have to buy an nVidia chipset. If you want Crossfire, you can go with an Intel or AMD chipset. Pick a reputable vendor, don't cheap out, and don't forget there is an advantage in buying both your board and card from the same maker: If you need support, they can't blow you off onto another vendor so easily.

....Ah... So what I thought was a motherboard problem is actually a video card issue, you say?? Let's talk about that then - Since it's one of YOURS...

hminh87

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2007
Keep in mind you wont be able to upgrade to 45nm Nehalem because it will require a new socket.

So Intel finally taking a jump from S-775.
I guess I will still stick with 775 for the time being. The new socket needs to have a year to maintain stability on the market first.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008
I'd take the the x38 over the 750i/780i/790i. Right now, x38 is cheaper than 780i/790i but more expensive than 750i. The nVidia chipsets run at 1333mhz FSB natively, and can usually overclock to 1600+ without problems. The X38 run at 1600mhz FSB natively, and usually overclock to 2000+ without problems. 750i/780i/790i are sli only, x38/x48 are crossfire only.

Keep in mind, 2x8800gt is significantly more powerful than 2x3870. Although the positions can flip in a few months, like the two competing companies have always done.

hminh87

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2007

That is exactly the problem I'm having right now.
What to choose what to choose... I of course prefer 8800GT over HD3870 but dislike Nvidia Nforce chipset.

Would a Dual GPU 9800X2 work on a X38 motherboard? If it does then I will just go for a 8800GT now then later switch out the GFX card. I know very little about dual GPU card nore SLI.

The biggest decision you have to make right now is memory type. DDR2 is at "clearance prices" right now as vendors try to empty stocks in preparation for DDR3. Some MoBos are DDR2 / DDR3 capable but most will involve serious compromises as all those memory slots take up valuable MoBo real estate. Looking at the reviews it would seem that Asus has grabbed the king of the hill trophies in 2 or 3 of the categories below.

If DDR2 and Crossfire is your choice, I'd prolly go for the Asus Rampage. Note the Giagabyte comparisons at the end of the article
http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3208

If DDR3 and Crossfire is your choice, I'd prolly go for the Asus 5E3 Premiume. Again, note the Giagabyte comparisons at the end of the article.
http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3229

If DDR2 and SLI was your choice, then many of the 780i based boards would be worth considering. Seems no standout has arisen as yet but based upon the performance of the first Striker, the Striker II Formila seems a good place to start looking. MSI and Gigabyte have offerings worth considering.
http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3267

If DDR3 and SLI was your choice, then the 790i based Striker II Extreme would be my choice, assuming I was looking at SLI at 1920 x 1200 and had a pocket full of money of course.
http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews.php?/cpu_mainboard/asus_striker_ii_extreme_790i_ddr3_motherboard/1

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

Yes, 9800x2 will work fine on X38, although you won't be able to add another 9800x2 for quad sli. If you plan to upgrade graphics card in the future, it's probably better to get x38 and a single 8800gt or gts(g92) and see if next generation ATI gpus are better than next gen Nvidia. The chances are basically 50/50, for lack of more information, and since x38 chipset itself is better, it's the smarter choice.

hminh87

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2007
Then I will follow my plan with the motherboard and 8800GT for the time being.
One thing I still quite blurry for me. Does X38 chipset support Quad Crossfire? It might be even better idea to go for a two HD3870 X2 cards if it ever introduced in the future.

About memory type. I guess I will go with DDR2 PC6400 for now and swap them out around the same time upgrading graphic card. I'm pretty sure they will be more than enough for a media center.

If by nforce you mean the 780i, that one was I think a bit of a disappointment to many. Not that it was bad or anything, it just didn't live up to all that peeps were expecting and didn't "rock their worlds". The 790i on the other hand is in a different category altogether.

http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3265

And yes and single slot card from either vendor works on a X38/X48 MoBo.

TRENDING THREADS