SLI not detected on nvidia control panel

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tobargy

Honorable
Mar 19, 2015
Hello

My build is:
ASUS MAXIMUS VII FORMULA
2x GTX 980ti hydro copper
i7 4790k

I have tested this build a year ago and I had to leave it back home because am going to university, I have got it shipped here, everything seems fine.. the GPUs light up when the PC is running but the second card would'nt get detected by Nvidia control panel.

I have updated the drivers and tried to reinstall them with no luck. I have read that there might be an option to turn SLI on in the BIOS, looked there and found nothing about that option.

am wondering if the problem is the SLI bridge, btw I have a custom water cooling loop in there, so I might not be able to get the card out and switch them :/
I will update to windows 10, should I update and check if it works or try to fix it before updating.

Solution

You are welcome!

I think you should be able to use the third PCI slot as long as it is capable of at least x8 PCI lanes if the motherboard maker claims it can do 3-way SLI. Just make sure you have a long PCI bridge. One of the inexpensive flexible ones of proper length should be more than adequate.

tobargy

Honorable
Mar 19, 2015

First of all, Thank you so much guys for helping and keeping up with me!

I realised that I can use the third PCIe Slot that is PCIe 2.0 x 16
I got an extender fitting and used it and filled the system and it detected the second card, although am not quite sure if SLI is on in the control panel. I can choose between the 2 cards and an auto setting.

c4s2k3

Reputable
Sep 17, 2015

You are welcome!

I think you should be able to use the third PCI slot as long as it is capable of at least x8 PCI lanes if the motherboard maker claims it can do 3-way SLI. Just make sure you have a long PCI bridge. One of the inexpensive flexible ones of proper length should be more than adequate.

Solution