[SOLVED] SLI/NVLINK possibilities MSI GeForce RTX 2080 8GB GAMING X TRIO + MSI GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB GAMING X TRIO

Jun 29, 2021
Hi,

Is it possible to run sli/nvlink with the two cars mentioned in the title? The difference is the SUPER card vs the normal gamin x trio. Want to be sure before buying.

Thank you!

Br,

Stromsq

Solution
You can technically force them to sli with driver hacks but with most newer games not supporting sli it's pointless. You'd want sli for the newer titles so you could run those better but with sli you don't get ray tracing. DLSS still works in sli I believe but it's pointless to try SLI anyway. You can make sli profiles and stuff to get some games working but then it's not always a sure thing you'll get a good experience because the frame times will be worse than that of a single card a lot of the time. Also there are crashes and some games will just outright refuse to run in sli. If you need sli to play a certain game and it just came out then forget about it. SLI is almost never supported on day 1. I personally would like to be able to...
Theoretically you can do this if the video cards used the same GPU die codename (in this case, TU-104). However, if it works, the Super card will spec itself down to the normal 2080.

It's best to get a video card that closely matches the one you want to pair it with as much as possible.

Reactions: Stromsq1
It probably would not work as they changed the cuda core count from 2944 to 3072 for the super.

Like Hotaru said, if they do work the 2080 super would downclock to the 2080 speeds. That would leave the CUDA core count miss match that would probably give you issues.

You can technically force them to sli with driver hacks but with most newer games not supporting sli it's pointless. You'd want sli for the newer titles so you could run those better but with sli you don't get ray tracing. DLSS still works in sli I believe but it's pointless to try SLI anyway. You can make sli profiles and stuff to get some games working but then it's not always a sure thing you'll get a good experience because the frame times will be worse than that of a single card a lot of the time. Also there are crashes and some games will just outright refuse to run in sli. If you need sli to play a certain game and it just came out then forget about it. SLI is almost never supported on day 1. I personally would like to be able to run sli and I used to run it in the past. I had SLI GTX 470's up until 2015. But SLI is phased out now. Games don't support it anymore. Why? I'm not sure why. Even mGPU with DirectX12 isn't really being utilized by pretty much any games even though there are plenty of games running on directx12.

You would want the cards in sli for newer titles because the RTX 2080 is plenty for most older games anyway. And pretty much no new games will support sli. If you want to play at 4K then you need at least an RTX 3070 but I'd really recommend an RTX 3080 or better. To play newer games in 4K you constantly need the top of the line every 2 years or so. For 1440p 144hz it's about the same situation as 4K 60hz although you might still be happy with 80 to 100 fps. So there's a little more wiggle room for 1440p 144hz. Whereas for 4K you'll want 60 fps all the time. So an RTX 3070 would be fine for 1440p 144hz if you're willing to lower the details some and/or would still be happy with 80 to 100 fps. For 1440p 60hz and below I'd say your graphics card is still ok for that. Definitely not perfect but it's still more than just acceptable.

Now is not the time to upgrade unless you just gotta have the newest titles playing at 4k 60fps maxed out or need 1440p 144+ fps. If you're ok with 1440p 60 fps or lower you'll be fine.

Solution
Jun 29, 2021
Thank you all for good answers! If i should upgrade, would you buy now or wait until 4080 series? Im playing at 1440p and 144 hz and want to maintain 60+ fps on all games with highest settings in all new as well as old games.

USAFRet

Titan
Thank you all for good answers! If i should upgrade, would you buy now or wait until 4080 series? Im playing at 1440p and 144 hz and want to maintain 60+ fps on all games with highest settings in all new as well as old games.
If you wait to buy into the 4XXX line...the 5XXX line will be on the horizon.
And you'll be asking again.

Buy what you want, when you want it, when you have the funds, and when it is available.