SLI on an x38 based Mobo?

Prodigal

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
I'm currently running a 9800GT that likes to get up to about 80C under a load, and have read that a pair of GTS 250's in SLI provide excellent performance for the price. So I ordered a couple this evening and didn't think twice about it.

I was looking through my motherboard (An ASUS Maximus Formula using the Intel x38 chipset) manuals and such for the SLI bridge, and noticed that it's only listed as supporting CrossFire. I did some quick googling and found that until recently you couldn't do SLI on a non-nvidia chipset.

As it's been a couple years and I've been out of the loop, I was hoping the folks that frequent the forums here might be better informed. Am I going to have to use hacked drivers, or outright SOL for nvidia cards? I'm not a fan of ATI's driver support, and it's my understanding that there are issues with them in STO if you want to use AA or Dynamic Lighting (one of the main games I'm playing right now).

Thanks in advance :)

DokkRokken

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
Heading with the single nVidia will mean you won't get DX11, unless you wait it out for their 'Fermi'. However, it seems like it'll be a monster, which is probably what you'd want if you're aiming to prolong your rig's life and get some nice performance.

Prodigal

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
I did some more googling and came across this:

http://xdevs.com/e107_plugins/content/content.php?content.30

The jist is it fakes the official nvidia drivers into thinking the motherboard has an x58 chipset. They've tested it with a number of cards and chipsets and it appears to work. It appears to be a simple registry modification for the most part.

Any thoughts? If it works as advertised, this might just make my day.

Prodigal

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
Yeah I ended up canceling my order for the cards, and then reordering them after I found that site. I got them from newegg and they have a refund option, so I'll just image my primary array before I do it, and worse comes to worse I can return the cards.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143211

Anyone know what kind of temps I should be looking at on these things? Currently I'm running a BFG 9800GT (single slot). I'm thinking that going with a single slot card might have been a mistake, it runs at 57~63C at idle, and gets above 80C while gaming.