SLI Performance Impact with Additional Peripheral Gpu

May 17, 2018
I have three displays. My center display (1920x1200) is powered by 2 x GTX 1080 in SLI, and the other displays (1920x1080) are powered by a single GTX 760. I have an i7 4770K, 24 GB DDR3 RAM (PC3-10700), my OS drive is an SSD, and I typically play games installed on a secondary traditional HDD.

I typically game on the main display, and have Chrome browsers open on the other displays with Netflix, Youtube, forums, game guides, etc. I notice a performance impact in games when the peripheral monitors are playing video, or have a website open with (I assume) a lot of javascript. At that time, my V-Sync framerate drops from 60 Hz to 30Hz. I have more than enough margin of CPU (I assume) because it's around 20-30% and my free memory is usually > 10GB. But I still suspect my CPU...

This is not what I expected when I connected my monitors to different GPUs. Also the headroom above my CPU and memory usage coincidental with framerate drop confuses me.

So what should I look for? Is there anything which stands out as a possible issue with my configuration? I don't really have the option to change much hardware because the 4770K is almost the best I can put on my motherboard. I'd appreciate any input. Thanks!

Solution

Wildthorn

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2016

I do believe your setup is fine and judging from what your saying nothing is wrong with it, however if you do wish to continue multitasking I would recommend limiting the amount of browser, applications, etc that are open. When your computer “multitasks” it isn’t really multitasking but rather splitting up operations into tiny time brackets and executing them that way. The more instructions you feed to your computer, the slower it would get. And when you do run out of RAM your computer will result in using a plan B, your secondary storage as virtual memory. You will notice significant delays when this does happen. Hope I was helpful

Solution