SLI performance wth 9600GT

sebzskp

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Hi,

Yesterday I added a second graphic card to my system to get a gaming boost as i am planning to play some demanding games such as Crysis and GTAIV.

I did a quick performance test with 3DMark06 and was unimpressed by the improvement.
A single card gave me around 7400 (1440x900 settings) and two cards gave me a score of ~8500.

I then played Fallout 3 with medium to high settings as recommended by the game when i installed it. I played for an hour and it was very fluid with no slow downs but i want to know if there is a way i could get more out of my system...

First. are there tests/settings that i could do/use with some games that i have to see how much i can push my system? I own Fallout 3, Crysis, Prototype, Bioshock, GTAIV. And actually, how do you check the actual frame rate while playing on these games?

Second since i don't think i want to upgrade my MOBO at this stage I thought I could add 2 Gigs of RAM and/or a faster CPU (in which case do you think my PSU of 600 Watts would be enough).

I am limited by the board to AM2 socket processors (although i heard it may be able to accept AM2+) and DDR2 800 memory slots.

Would love to hear your opinions/suggestions!

Thanks!

My rig:
MOBO: ASUS M2N-SLI deluxe - nVidia nForce 560 SLI Chipset
Processor: AMD Athlon 64- Dual Core 4200+
GPU: 2x BFG GeForce 9600GT 512Mb (SLI)
RAM: 2x1Gb DDR2-800
PSU: Rosewill 600W SLI certified
Monitor: 19" max rez 1440x900

sirkillalot

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
well theres not much you can do i would of said sell the gpu and get 1 good 1.
u dont want 2 upgrade the mb so thats out
2 gigs of ram would help a little but then with xp you may end up with 3.5 gigs
but thats ok
over clocking is all thats left

sebzskp

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
You mean sell the CPU (not gpu) and get a better one?

Would I really benefit from the extra RAM with the games i play?

I heard safe overclocking can only give you minimal increases in performance.