[SOLVED] SLI question

PanzaruRares

Prominent
Jan 20, 2020
I am buying an i5 9600k and i have a GTX 970 4gb turbo as my GPU . I was asking if paying 80 euros for another one to use in SLI would make a big difference, saying that because the CPU is limited to the single GTX 970

Solution
If i don't have the budget to upgrade it, is it stll ok to still use it?

It's risky using it on your existing system. The 980Ti draws about 100W more power than the 970 under load.

I would spend the money on a good PSU first. The more powerful GPU can come later.

A good quality PSU will provide steady power for many years, and if something causes it to fail, will protect the rest of your system. A poor quality one will not necessarily deliver clean/steady power, and if it fails, could damage other components with it. You have a fairly new motherboard and CPU... do you want to gamble with them?
No. SLI/Crossfire is dead at this point. the performance increase will either be none to minimal and in some cases performance will be worse. SLI works great when the developers optimize for it, but given the number of multi GPU systems (very very low) almost no developer spends much time doing so.

The consensus is that a single better GPU is always the better option.

Reactions: King_V

PanzaruRares

Prominent
Jan 20, 2020
No. SLI/Crossfire is dead at this point. the performance increase will either be none to minimal and in some cases performance will be worse. SLI works great when the developers optimize for it, but given the number of multi GPU systems (very very low) almost no developer spends much time doing so.

The consensus is that a single better GPU is always the better option.
I found a 980 ti for 110 euros,is it a good upgrade?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
If i don't have the budget to upgrade it, is it stll ok to still use it?

It's risky using it on your existing system. The 980Ti draws about 100W more power than the 970 under load.

I would spend the money on a good PSU first. The more powerful GPU can come later.

A good quality PSU will provide steady power for many years, and if something causes it to fail, will protect the rest of your system. A poor quality one will not necessarily deliver clean/steady power, and if it fails, could damage other components with it. You have a fairly new motherboard and CPU... do you want to gamble with them?

Solution

PanzaruRares

Prominent
Jan 20, 2020

And if i get a 1070 ti will it change the power usage?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
The 1070Ti is about halfway between, at 180W.
980Ti ~ 250W
970 ~ 148W

Now, even with the 980Ti, a good quality 550W PSU would be fine. I really would not spend money on a video card, and take a chance on possibly frying it with a PSU of unknown (possibly poor) quality and reliability.

You're trying to mitigate the risk in the wrong way.