SLI Scaling: Can Three GeForce GTX 760s Beat Two 780s?

Status
Not open for further replies.
there are some major fps drops in the sli configurations on bf3, wonder why? did that happen on the single monitor solution? and in other games? crap like that is why i switched my sli config out for a better single card.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I checked and found 1 stuck frame on the GTX 780 SLI at 1920x1080. It lasted far less than a second and dropped FPS from 200 (capped) to 54.
Yes, but the problem is that it's hard to find six cards laying around (three of each), and we quit buying 2GB cards for 3-way SLI a couple years back when they started running out of memory at 2560x1600. It got worse in Surround mode.

I noticed in Tomb Raider that 780 SLI was broken, yet 760 SLI worked well. 780 SLI had worse scores than a single 780 using Surround setups, yet the 760 SLI worked with surround setups quite well. I wonder what is up with that.

weird sh!t sometimes happens with multi-card setups. i have owned both crossfire and sli in the last couple years, and now i'm dead set on single card is the only way to go, only takes one game not to work properly to ruin your day. Multi card for me, is only for when the best card available isn't powerful enough for you, or maybe second best card as the best is often overpriced ridiculously.

giovanni86

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
Waiting for Maxwell. Prices on both sides need to come down. Best for single GPU's was $500 with dual gpu's being double the price, i miss old prices.

aint2good

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013
Why is it that the graphs show 1 760 at 100% price, 2 at 200% price, and 3 at 400% price? Should 3 of them be 300% price?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Thanks for pointing out that the last page charts were based on QUAD pricing and Tri performance! Fortunately, knocking the B out of FUBAR is my specialty :p

I am sorry, but it is quite evident that what we are seeing here is a lack of support and bad quality drivers. 3 760 GTX result should have been more in the line of Tomb Raider results. Funny to see NVIDIA fanboys cry over ATI bad drivers, but at least a third AMD card generally ends in better framerate... unlike what we can conclude here.

boytitan2

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012
Why no 770 I feel 4 x 3 gb of gpu ram is over kill and it is just a 30-40 buck price difference between the 770 2gb and 760 4gb. The 770 would have been a better buy.

bucknutty

Distinguished
Why not test this on COD Ghosts? Oh that's right, its been out for 6 weeks and it still does not work right with SLI. All the flickering sights and trees are making me nauseous.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Funny, because the article was written about six weeks ago :) We had a flood of launch articles in November dalay a bunch of non-timed articles by 4-6 weeks.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
I'm curious if SLI (or xfire) is ever really a good value when you consider things like game support, time invested, mental sanity, and so forth. I mean how much savings is that much aggravation worth? Just because I could save money by using old newspapers instead of toilet paper doesn't mean I should.

In the case of two way SLI, there is rarely aggravation. It just works in almost every game. The ones it doesn't work in usually don't need SLI to get good performance and you just don't realize it isn't working.

That said, a single card is a better way to go, IF you can get that performance from a single GPU. If you want more performance than a single GPU can give, then go with two.

IMO, SLI should only be done with higher end GPU's, when you want more performance than a single card can give.

nVidia's wizing up....

580 sales tanked cause two 560s was 40% faster and 20% cheaper.
Two $150 650 Ti Boosts paired up edged any single gpu card waaay more

Tho over 75% of the builds I do are SLI/ CF, I have however always had trouble making a case for Tri SLI and Tri CF is not a place many will venture.

Mike Friesen

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
I found that the answer to the title was obvious. 780 vs 760, 2304 vs 1152 shaders? One has literally twice as many, and 2x2304=4608, whereas 1152*3= 3456. I know this oversimplifies the question, as number of shaders aren't everything, but when comparing shaders, even when considering the higher clock rate, the 780's will win. Even with perfect scaling, the 760's just don't have the computing power. 2 770's vs 3 780's would have been more interesting; same number of shaders(approx), but 770 is clocked much higher, and the 780's have better scaling. OC'd 780's would put up a very fair fight, I'd say.

Status
Not open for further replies.