Question SLI [NVLINK] Setup - Slightly different RTX 2080 Supers

Jul 4, 2020
I recently got my hands on a 2nd RTX 2080 Super and am wondering how difficult it will be to configure both of them together using NVLink (as they are slightly different GPUs). Please forgive me if my understanding of how this works is flawed- I'm rather new to PC building and did my best to research this on different Forums and via tutorials.
  • GPU #1: Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC (Currently in System)
  • GPU #2: Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super Windforce OC
From what I've gathered the benefit to using NVLink over normal SLI Bridge is ability to utilize both cards VRAM.

I've also read that NVLINK is more "picky" when it comes to linking two non-identical GPUs. So far as I know the difference between the two 2080 Supers above is minimal- the Gaming OC comes with +15 Core Clock and slightly better heat dissipation (under the fans; as fans are identical). Otherwise, the only difference I can find is some RGB and available rare ports.

I appreciate any advise folks could provide on linking these two with NVLINK. Perhaps there are VRAM differences that make this tricky/impossible? Also, if NVLINK is NOT an option would a regular SLI Bridge work better? With the new 3000 series on the horizon, I could always sell the 'Windforce OC' card...though I did really want to attempt a dual GPU configuration.

OTHER SYSTEM SPECS
  • MB: MSI z490 Gaming Carbon Wifi
  • CPU: Intel i7 10700k
  • OS DRIVE: 500GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS