SLI support

Fndr7070

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
Do you need a motherboard with the nForce chipset on it to run SLI, or do you just need to x16 slots and two SLI cards?

shabodah

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
You need the hardware and drivers that will work on the hardware. Thus, right now you are stuck with either a Nforce 4 sli or sliX16 board, or a ULI chipset board- see AsRock for that, I don't believe anyone else makes one right now. All these boards are going to be 939 or 940, except Epox makes a 754 sli board.

Fndr7070

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
what needs to support SLI? the BIOS for my board? or do the nvidia drivers need to support my chipset? I'm confused about that....

I'm mainly asking for my board (ASUS P5LD2-Deluxe). I've seen some postings and such on the web saying that it will support it, but the second card will only run as PCIx1, even if I put it in the second PCIx16 slot. I got an SLI connector with the board as well. Dunno if that means anything.

shabodah

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
Sorry I was speaking for AMD boards. Your board seems to be relatively well regarded by the Intel camp, but I know NOTHING about their chipsets. Good luck with things, if you get it working send us some benchies and help prove that even new games are not so demanding that only the highest end stuff can play them. People are spending way to much money on things they don't need.

pat

Expert
what needs to support SLI? the BIOS for my board? or do the nvidia drivers need to support my chipset? I'm confused about that....

I'm mainly asking for my board (ASUS P5LD2-Deluxe). I've seen some postings and such on the web saying that it will support it, but the second card will only run as PCIx1, even if I put it in the second PCIx16 slot. I got an SLI connector with the board as well. Dunno if that means anything.

As I said, there is a patch to patch nvidia drivers to have sli for other chipset.

You of couse need sli compatible video card too. The sli jumper will make both slot at 8X.

I think the patch is at Guru3d. do a search yourself with these info.

Fndr7070

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
Thanks, Pat.

And Shabodah, I agree about spending too much for things that aren't really needed. I don't understand why people get like, 2 7800GT cards for SLI, when one is enough to run any game out there at max (and will be for a long time to come).

shabodah

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
It's good to know that the cracked patch works on crossfire boards, but I'm not sure I want a cracked patch. And if I'm not sure, that probably means a lot of people aren't. Not too mention SLI probably will not be worth the money anyway. Is the original poster running 1600X1200?

Fndr7070

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
me? no... I still have a CRT. running at 1154x768. I haven't seen an LCD that (in my opinion anyway) looks as good as my CRT (which is top notch).

this question is more of a curiousity than anything. my 6800 GS is more than enough to run games for me. I might try overclocking it and unlocking the other 4 pipelines, though. I have an eVGA... which apparently has a lifetime no questions asked warranty (meaning I can fry it and get it replaced free).