SLI with GTX 980

Commster101

Reputable
Feb 10, 2015
I have a EVGA GTX 980. For playing the latest best games and general home use. Why would
anyone need 2 of these? Or would I benefit from 2 of these?
Thanks for any advice!

JimF_35

Distinguished
You double your GPU performance. This will give you almost twice the frame rate.

Remember you can not double your memory though.

That said some games have driver issues and don't take advantage of extreme SLIs like 3 way and 4 way so I would not go much above a 2 way SLI unless you know the game you are playing can utilize the 4 way SLI.

These are some games that support SLI...

http://www.geforce.com/games-applications/technology/sli

azathoth

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
The GTX 980 is a really powerful GPU. If you are a gamer that only uses one 1080p monitor, it will more than suffice for a long time to come.
The main reason why people buy two GTX 980's for SLI, is that they have multi-monitor setups. Or in my case, I have a 2560x1440 monitor at 120hz. I prefer to keep my framerate at 120hz, which takes twice the power of 60hz to push the ideal framerate.. Hence why I have two GTX 970's.

In short, if you have multiple monitors and wish to play the latest and greatest, two GPU's are faster than one.
If you have one monitor, you're easily fine with a single GPU, unless again you have a 4K monitor.

Commster101

Reputable
Feb 10, 2015
When i bought it was the newest talked up GPU. Thats wonderful..... I'm just wondering if one 980 is as good as say 2 sli lower ones or what. I'm debating buying another as my current one does not support more than one graphics card. I just wonder if it's worth it or not.

Commster101

Reputable
Feb 10, 2015
Thanks guys! Another 980?! lol christ this is getting expensive. Its running great now. I'll put it on my future buy.
I'll have to get a different motherboard for that .

TRENDING THREADS