draytalon

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
I have an ASUS M3A78 Motherboard, not the T or EM versions, the good old original M3A78. My question is this, at the moment i am running an Nvidia GeForce 8400GS 512mb card, i need to know about upgrading to a better DDR2 card, can this MoBo take SLI feature through the small PCI-E 2.0 (white on my board) expansion slots, or do i need to just buy the one card that fits the blue PCI-E slot where the 512 is running now. I am not 100% sure what slots are what, need a little info on this so i don't buy unnecessary items as my wife will not be pleased, lol.

Regards

Dray

Solution
The slot your 8400 is in is a 16x PCIe slot. The shorter, white one is a 1x PCIe slot (you should have two of these). The bad news is that you can only use the 16x PCIe slot for a new GPU, so you can't use sli.

Now the good news is that you don't need to buy a ddr2 GPU, any PCIe GPU will work (ddr2 or ddr3, etc). The ddr2 requirement is only for the actual ram modules.

trapper

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2005
The slot your 8400 is in is a 16x PCIe slot. The shorter, white one is a 1x PCIe slot (you should have two of these). The bad news is that you can only use the 16x PCIe slot for a new GPU, so you can't use sli.

Now the good news is that you don't need to buy a ddr2 GPU, any PCIe GPU will work (ddr2 or ddr3, etc). The ddr2 requirement is only for the actual ram modules.

Solution

trapper

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2005
The reason you cant use DDR3 ram in your mobo is the connector type and how the mobo's and CPU's architecture uses the system ram. Video card ram use used wholly by the GPU and thus is not subject to motherboard restraints.

Depending on what PSU you have (as geofelt has said) the 570 is a great card, especially with those discounts.