SLI with Slots 1 and 3?

atBrenthor

Reputable
Dec 27, 2015
Hello,

I can't find an answer for this anywhere! Here's my situation.

I have an MSI X99a SLI Plus mobo and a Zotac Amp! Extreme 980 ti. Within the next 18 months I'd like to get another 980 ti and SLI the cards but the card is a triple slot monster. The mobo has 4 PCI-E slots (3 @ 16x and the bottom one is 8x). Where the card is a monster, would I be able to SLI using slots 1 and 3 because the card makes accessing the 2nd slot impossible.

So tl:dr: On an x99 mobo, can I run SLI in slots 1 and 3 instead of 1 and 2, and will doing so cost me performance, and if so, how much?

Thanks!

Solution

atBrenthor

Reputable
Dec 27, 2015
The manual basically tells me to start with one and work down but that's not possible with my card. Where the first 3 slots all operate at 16x I can't see why it would be an issue but I'm not as savvy as a lot of the folks around here. The only impact I can really see is having to buy a longer sli bridge. The x99 stuff is all crazy and I don't know how it all comes together just yet.

Chances are that if you miss a slot then the second card won't work in SLi. This is the downside of triple slot cards and why going down the SLi or Crossfire route requires a bit of forethought.

atBrenthor

Reputable
Dec 27, 2015
Additionally,

I'm using a 5820k so I know it's only 28 lanes so my second card would almost have to run in 8x/8x/8x but I couldn't afford 40 lanes. Is it even worth doing SLI?

atBrenthor

Reputable
Dec 27, 2015

Is there a reason why, though? I can't find a technical reason on the x99 board that it won;t work. I just wanted to confirm before I bought another card.

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished

Looking at the manual for the board it suggests that only x16/x8/x0/x0 with the PCI-E lanes you have available, would be possible but I have found this to differ from board to board. On my P6X58D-E it states the same but I ran 560 ti SLI in slots 1 and 3 no issues. The amount of lanes you have available to you would still more than make SLI worth it if the motherboard would accept a card in slot 3.

UPDATE : I have found this information for you :
In order to overcome the cooling worries of using back-to-back graphics cards, the first and third full-length PCIe slots can be used when running a 5820K CPU (as we saw OCUK apply here). A similar graphics card placement workaround can be used to run three graphics cards alongside a PCIe 3.0 x4 M.2 SSD when using a 40-lane CPU (don’t use the bottom full-length PCIe slot).
from this review http://

Seems that you are able to run this configuration. :D

Solution

atBrenthor

Reputable
Dec 27, 2015
[/quotemsg]

Looking at the manual for the board it suggests that only x16/x8/x0/x0 with the PCI-E lanes you have available, would be possible but I have found this to differ from board to board. On my P6X58D-E it states the same but I ran 560 ti SLI in slots 1 and 3 no issues. The amount of lanes you have available to you would still more than make SLI worth it if the motherboard would accept a card in slot 3.

UPDATE : I have found this information for you :
In order to overcome the cooling worries of using back-to-back graphics cards, the first and third full-length PCIe slots can be used when running a 5820K CPU (as we saw OCUK apply here). A similar graphics card placement workaround can be used to run three graphics cards alongside a PCIe 3.0 x4 M.2 SSD when using a 40-lane CPU (don’t use the bottom full-length PCIe slot).
from this review http://

Seems that you are able to run this configuration. :D
[/quotemsg]

Thanks so much! The one referenced uses a x99S not x99A but the only difference I'm aware of between the two is that the A has two 3.1 ports.

This is great news! I was pulling my hair out over this one!

Thanks so much!