SLI x2 GTX 1080s

Mar 22, 2018
i have a 4k monitor and im struggling in a few games to hit 60fps even an low settings, i never use AA i already have one 1080 im wondering if i should get another one for sli to boost my power then i can hit 60fps with a few settings turned up? but ive heard sli is bad id like a few opinions please.

thank you, i have a 700w psu, and an i5 8600k oc to 5ghz

Solution
SLI is a gamble-over the past few years it seems that support has diminished a tad and the benefit is't as great as it used to be. If a game supports sli and there is the right profile for it you may get around 30-40% increase-that comes in exchange of increased power draw, temperatures and at times micro stutter. If the option is available to you I would consider selling your current card and investing in a single more powerful unit.
I don't know how much money you have, if you get the right deal, sure it is.
With the new reviews of tha 2080's and they aren't as great as they were meant to be, but still very impressive.
The 2080ti makes 4k playable but costs over $1000.
1080 should make 4k playable as well.

SLI is a gamble-over the past few years it seems that support has diminished a tad and the benefit is't as great as it used to be. If a game supports sli and there is the right profile for it you may get around 30-40% increase-that comes in exchange of increased power draw, temperatures and at times micro stutter. If the option is available to you I would consider selling your current card and investing in a single more powerful unit.

Solution

xxxlun4icexxx

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
I ran 1080s sli for a year or so. To be honest, it wasn't worth it. I ended up selling one. Most of the games scaled so poorly I barely saw any performance gain. I remember trying to get better performance in bf1, it was a nightmare of testing/adjusting with little to no results. And also, for some reason using 1 card made it way smoother as well. I ran tri-sli 980s @ 4k in the past which was actually surprisingly smooth, but with the 1080s I ended up getting a lot of stuttering issues in game. Not sure if it was settings I had enabled/disabled or what not.

But regardless, I would advise if you want to do 4k, sell your 1080 and either get a 1080ti or 2080ti if you can afford it. 1 1080 Ti still may leave you wanting a little more as it still won't let you max fidelity on all games. One 1080 is like, I can play 4k in games, but only at medium settings as I'm sure you're seeing right now.

nmb255

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
The last SLI I had was Voodoo2 :)

This subject comes up frequently, and particularly when a new card generation comes along. The general concept being by getting a second card cheap you get the performance of the new cards. The overwhelming number of reports and responses say that it isn't worth it, and doesn't live up to expectations. With each generation it's the same feeling that 1 is better than 2.

There will be claims that there are benefits and no doubt at times those are true, but for an east life go with the single card. Do you want to spend your time gaming or tweeking?

By all means try it, but the advice I would follow would be to invest in a single card and cash in on your current card to offset the hurt.

This was before prices gone mad, in my opinion paying 300-400$ and a little tweeking better then paying 1200$+ for a single more powerfull card.

This list can be extended to Starcraft 2, PUBG, Nier: Automata, Hellblade: Senua Sacrifice, Final fantasy XV and i think there are more comunity made SLI profiles that are working perfectly.
The scaling is not perfect, expect a 50-70% at 4k but for me it is the differences between under 60 and over 60 fps, single gtx 1080 ti is under 60 in most games and now it is around 80.