applehart

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
hi im thinking of building a rig but carnt for the life of me decide what i should go for.so i simply ask....what is best`3x 580sli or 2x 590sli

I would put money on the 3X 580 SLI. The 590's downclock too much and have power issues. If you read some of the reviews on tri to quad SLI you will also note a massive drop in performance improvements going from 3 to 4 cards in SLI (or GPU's in the 590's case).

applehart

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
thanks for your reply on this mater is very much appreciated thank you. ill be running it all on a 27inch flat moniter `with room to upgrade in the futcher`.plus do you know how far into the futcher the 580s will take me???.and why the hell would nvidia release a down clocked card for more the price???

It wasn't really Nvidia's fault. The PCIE slot has a limit on the amount of power you can draw through it with a standard 6 and 8 pin connector plus the power from the motherboard. This equals out to 300 watts. The 590's can take way over that. If you look at the $1500 GTX 590 review for the Asus Mars 2 you will see how much power that thing can draw when truely unlimited.