Slight BCLK Fluctuation & Occasional Micro-Stutter

IceCold343

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
Hello everyone,

I'm using an ASUS Z97 Deluxe USB 3.1 & a 4790K running all the latest drivers.

Ever since reformatting my system last week I've encountered a slew of problems. I'm not certain if there's some kind of setting I missed, something I reset within the BIOS, or if by chance my board has started to show signs of dying in the interim.

Last week I started to have occasional micro-stutter while playing games like League of Legends & Path of Exile, but this wasn't noticeable on World of Warcraft or Overwatch. Growing annoyed, I decided it had been a while and to just give it a reformat. Easy attempt at fixing the problem, right? Or so I thought.

Once I reformatted, I loaded up my BIOS to play with QFan instead of running Fan Xpert. Turns out I can't make my DC fans go to as low of RPMs as I can with Fan Xpert. Loaded optimized defaults and continued with the reformat. Once I installed HWMonitor and loaded it up, that's when I noticed something was different.

After letting the system idle for a while, I noticed my clock speeds going under the minimum of 800, down to 773. It's also going over the maximum of 4399 and hitting as high as 4504. This doesn't happen terrible often, and when it does it's only for a second or so. However, this never happened over the course of the past year. Over that time, I've left HWMonitor open for many hours and it's never deviated below 800 or over 4399. Not once.

Thinking this could be some oddity with the software, I went ahead and continued to put everything on the system. League of Legends was having horrible stuttering, which I discovered was being caused from F.lux. Path of Exile now has absolutely horrible stuttering every single time HWMonitor "polls" the CPU. That is, every time the CPU information is pulled from it, and HWMonitor updates the temperates (so every .256 seconds I believe) I get a stutter on Path of Exile. If I minimize or close HWMonitor, this stops. I've also tested this on my other system and it doesn't stutter with HWMonitor open in PoE. I don't believe it's the game. Both PoE & League get occasional micro-stutter. None of this happened before the reformat.

Since then, I've monitored AI Suite & grabbed HWiNFO to monitor my BCLK. I've noticed it fluctuating from time to time. Going from as low as 97 (assuming 773/8) and as high as 102.9 (according to HWiNFO)! I never witnessed this happening before the reformat either.

I've also tried with a clean install, nothing more than Chipset Drivers, GPU Drivers & HWMonitor yet it happens.

I've been completely stumped for a week now and have absolutely no clue what might've happened to cause this. Is my board dying? Is there maybe something in the BIOS I reset that I don't remember configuring when I first set it up? What could've possibly happened? Why is HWMonitor causing stuttering on PoE when it updates the information from the chip?

Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Edit: I just noticed the clock speeds are going above and below its range on my other system which is running the exact same software aside from Chipset Drivers, LAN Drivers & ASUS AI Suite. What could be the cause of this?