Question Slight Blinking/Flicker Issue on my Samsung 1440p 144hz 27" VA Monitor

PrithBubba

Honorable
Dec 10, 2014
Yo, I just bought a Samsung 1440p 144hz 27" VA monitor (LC27JG54QQWXXL), and I've had some slight issues of the screen blinking when I play games like Warzone or sometimes even when I'm on Chrome (HW acceleration is off). Upgraded from another samsung monitor which was 1080p 72hz, but it didn't have any problems with blinking and such. The first thing I did when I installed the new monitor was uninstall and reinstall display drivers (currently on 20.11.1). I've been messing around with settings seeing what is likely to fix the blinks, which were most prominent on the monitor's Ultimate Edition free sync mode, I'm trying out the Standard Edition now since I hear that is what I should use if Ultimate gives me problems on certain games. The blinks I experience aren't extremely common, they happen randomly, usually about once every couple of minutes, maybe even 5-10 minutes.

Some details:
  • I'm using an HDMI cable. The HDMI 2.0 cable I use is the one that came with the monitor. It's connected to the second hdmi port, as hdmi port 1 only supports 1440p but not 144hz.
  • My PC Specs are: Gigabyte RX 5700 XT, AMD R5 3600, MSI B450 Tomahawk Max. The temps are fine, cooling is sufficient.
  • The monitor, along with the computer, is connected to an extension board (if not familiar with an extension board, it's essentially a electric board with more than one electric socket, with a long wire connected to an actual wall socket) Mentioning this just in case it turns out to be a power issue.
  • https://gyazo.com/4cdfa7dff27af095ba97dde59c5028ab As you can see towards the end of this GIF, the slight blink is usually what happens.

PrithBubba

Honorable
Dec 10, 2014
Try disabling freesync.
Haven't tried it whilst playing games yet, but disabling freesync through my monitor does help in avoiding blinks when I'm on Chrome. I'll try playing something and update y'all later, but there must be a way to avoid blinks with free sync on? The free sync factor of the monitor was one of the reasons I bought it lol, pretty dumb if I can't use the feature without the blinks. I enjoy the gameplay with freesync on, except for the occasional blink. Any thoughts on how to overcome this?