Slight Buzzing sound on MSI GTX 980TI 6G

koyachand

Reputable
Jul 1, 2015
Hi All,

I have just recently purchased a MSI GTX 980ti 6G card. I have noticed a constant buzzing sound coming from the card. I can hear the sound before the fans kick in at a higher speed and become a bit more audible. When I am playing witcher 3 for example and press backspace to bring up the menu the buzzing stops. As soon as I go back into the game the buzzing continues.

Now the noise is only noticeable when I have the game volume on low or on mute. I donk think it is coil whine however I could be wrong.

I am now on the second card and both of them have this noise.

Just wanted to know if anyone else out there is experiencing the same issue?

Nick Chanas

Reputable
Aug 16, 2015
Hi Koyachand, with regards to the buzzing it is quite common on new cards and as you wear it out a bit it disappears. Initially I had it on my Zotac 980 ti Amp as well though it seemed a bit persistent and thought the card was faulty but then found a solution for mine.

Apparently this can be related to the refresh rate of your screen (I got an old Syncmaster S24B300 60hz), meaning that your card produces more frames than the screen can replicate. This can cause the buzz you hear. In the NVIDIA control panel you can set the vertical sync to Adaptive or use 3d application settings - if using the latter you will need to activate vsync in the game so that the card produce the same amount of frames that the screen can display. This removed the noise completely for me. If the noise persists after following my advice, then you might have a faulty card...

Mugglensu1984

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008

That's not a nice thing to hear expecially after I just bought a Gugabyte G1 Gaming 980 Ti :(