Slight Buzzing

Aurora

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003
Do y'all hear a slight buzz if you get near the back of your monitor?

I've recently moved my room around and the back of the monitor faces the the rest of my room... I have extremely good hearing and have recently been subject to hearing a very *very* faint (and high-pitched) buzzing sound.

I'm wondering if this is normal. I'm 99.99999% sure that it is, as my really old 14" monitor buzzes as well...but I hear this one much more since I use this computer for hours on end each day, and b/c the monitor's tail is facing the rest of the room.

Thoughts/ideas/detailed geeky explanations appreciated.

(ps - this monitor is still, in my opinion, in it's "brand new" stage...<8 months old...so this is either a lemon, or completely normal).

Thanks y'all.

"My downfall raises me to infinite heights."
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Aurora

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003
Interestingly, I went and put my ear against the back of my sister's monitor (the 3rd CTR I've done this to recently) and I also hear the buzzing sound.

I'm thinking that at times I can hear the high-pitched buzzing sound from other parts of the room (even sitting in front of the computer monitor) b/c of the angle the monitor is at...

I've never noticed this before, but unfortunately after something like this starts nagging me, it's hard to let go of it.

I'd just like to know if a normal CTR buzzes slightly (high pitched, that is).

Thanks.

-Napoleon Bonaparte

Aurora

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003
Okay...one other revalation on this subject matter...

It seems as though it's more of a high-pitched squeel which is bothering me than a buzz...the buzz I have found on all the monitors, the high-pitched squeel (which is not very loud, but I can hear it quite well -- again, good hearing) I have not found on all the monitors I've listened to.

Further, the squeel only seems to happen at my resolution...1280x1024 @75hz.

I have a a90f+ Viewsonic.

When I change the refresh, or the resolution, I can't hear a peep outta the monitor...

Ideas/thoughts?

(I do recall this happening before with a Dell monitor I used to own! I can't believe this is coming back to haunt me!)

-Napoleon Bonaparte

bgates

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2001
I have the same monitor as you, and yes, it does make a high
pitched tone for me too. I only hear this when it's turned
off though, and its pretty faint.