[SOLVED] Slight CPU heatsink readjustment - need thermal paste reapplication?

LeoBloom

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
Two years ago I purchased a RYZEN 5 3600 and a COOLMASTER HYPER 212 EVO. I now want to add two more RAM sticks but I see that the fan protrudes over the slot on one side so I must have installed the heatsink slightly crooked.

My question is if it is OK to loosen the heatsink and very slightly readjust it to open up the slot without reapplying thermal paste

Solution
Two years ago I purchased a RYZEN 5 3600 and a COOLMASTER HYPER 212 EVO. I now want to add two more RAM sticks but I see that the fan protrudes over the slot on one side so I must have installed the heatsink slightly crooked.

My question is if it is OK to loosen the heatsink and very slightly readjust it to open up the slot without reapplying thermal paste
Should be able to take off only a fan without unmounting whole cooler but is you do I would change paste too.

Should be able to take off only a fan without unmounting whole cooler but is you do I would change paste too.

Solution