Slight differences in X800 cards

ok, i looked at overclockers.co.uk and there is something quite intresting
i've noticed about the cards being released, they have slightly different
clock speeds and memory speeds, plus the Sapphire XT is not the Platinum
Edition but supports AGP 8x which if you look on ATI's website shouldn't be.
ATI says the X800 Pro is exclusively AGP 8x and the X800 XT is exclusively
PCI Express (which my mobo doesn't support) so I was going for the XT
Platinum Edition which is for both AGP 8x and PCI Express and is also a bit
faster than the XT.

The 2 cards they have listed are the Sapphire one which has a clock speed of
525Mhz and memory speed of 1150Mhz and the Connect3D version which has a
clock speed of 520Mhz and a memory speed of 1200Mhz, plus the connect3d one
is £9 more expensive (which is nothing if your spending £361).

Which one do you guys think I should gor for? as there is only a small
difference in speed does it really matter? and should I worry about the fact
that Sapphires card isn't named the XT Platinum Edition?

Thanks for any usefull replies, I want to get my pre-order in within the
next few days so I get mine before they sell out, hopefully (my pc has had
no graphics card for a month now and I really want to start using it again).

Shiva

Uhmm, I may be off here but the PE designation was something IIRC ATI added
to their x800 xt name to designate it as ATI's flagship. It has nothing to
do with being PCI express or AGP. All x800's are 8x if agp and the the PCI
express version I think will support 16x but that will be the 423 chip not
the 420 used with the x800 pro and XT. Finally I believe the x800xt IS NOT
exclusivly pci express.

"Remo-Shiva" <info@areyoufedup.com> wrote in message
> ok, i looked at overclockers.co.uk and there is something quite intresting
> i've noticed about the cards being released, they have slightly different
> clock speeds and memory speeds, plus the Sapphire XT is not the Platinum
> Edition but supports AGP 8x which if you look on ATI's website shouldn't
> be.
> ATI says the X800 Pro is exclusively AGP 8x and the X800 XT is exclusively
> PCI Express (which my mobo doesn't support) so I was going for the XT
> Platinum Edition which is for both AGP 8x and PCI Express and is also a
> bit
> faster than the XT.
>
> The 2 cards they have listed are the Sapphire one which has a clock speed
> of
> 525Mhz and memory speed of 1150Mhz and the Connect3D version which has a
> clock speed of 520Mhz and a memory speed of 1200Mhz, plus the connect3d
> one
> is £9 more expensive (which is nothing if your spending £361).
>
> Which one do you guys think I should gor for? as there is only a small
> difference in speed does it really matter? and should I worry about the
> fact
> that Sapphires card isn't named the XT Platinum Edition?
>
> Thanks for any usefull replies, I want to get my pre-order in within the
> next few days so I get mine before they sell out, hopefully (my pc has had
> no graphics card for a month now and I really want to start using it
> again).
>
> Shiva

check the ati website mate, you r wrong.

http://www.ati.com/products/radeonx800/radeonx800series/index.html

Shiva

"Bratboy" <jmcguay@Takeallthisaway.tde.com> wrote in message
> Uhmm, I may be off here but the PE designation was something IIRC ATI
added
> to their x800 xt name to designate it as ATI's flagship. It has nothing to
> do with being PCI express or AGP. All x800's are 8x if agp and the the PCI
> express version I think will support 16x but that will be the 423 chip not
> the 420 used with the x800 pro and XT. Finally I believe the x800xt IS NOT
> exclusivly pci express.
>
> "Remo-Shiva" <info@areyoufedup.com> wrote in message
> > ok, i looked at overclockers.co.uk and there is something quite
intresting
> > i've noticed about the cards being released, they have slightly
different
> > clock speeds and memory speeds, plus the Sapphire XT is not the Platinum
> > Edition but supports AGP 8x which if you look on ATI's website shouldn't
> > be.
> > ATI says the X800 Pro is exclusively AGP 8x and the X800 XT is
exclusively
> > PCI Express (which my mobo doesn't support) so I was going for the XT
> > Platinum Edition which is for both AGP 8x and PCI Express and is also a
> > bit
> > faster than the XT.
> >
> > The 2 cards they have listed are the Sapphire one which has a clock
speed
> > of
> > 525Mhz and memory speed of 1150Mhz and the Connect3D version which has a
> > clock speed of 520Mhz and a memory speed of 1200Mhz, plus the connect3d
> > one
> > is £9 more expensive (which is nothing if your spending £361).
> >
> > Which one do you guys think I should gor for? as there is only a small
> > difference in speed does it really matter? and should I worry about the
> > fact
> > that Sapphires card isn't named the XT Platinum Edition?
> >
> > Thanks for any usefull replies, I want to get my pre-order in within the
> > next few days so I get mine before they sell out, hopefully (my pc has
had
> > no graphics card for a month now and I really want to start using it
> > again).
> >
> > Shiva

Interesting that the ATi site shows they now produce both a X800XT and
X800XT Platinum Edition, and do not show a comparison of the two. I've
just looked at the online stores for Circuit City, Best Buy and CompUSA,
and all three show at least one X800. Best Buy shows an X800XT, lists
it as just a X800. They also list an X800 Pro. There is little
information about either. CompUSA lists an X800 Pro and X800 XT.
Circuit City lags with only an X800 Pro listed. These XT's aren't shown
as Platinum Editions. I wonder if that edition has to be purchased
from ATi direct.

Here in Houston, Tx. the only problem I ever have is actually finding
one of the latest greatest cards ON the shelf. :( There are none
available of any X800 in any of the stores at this time anywhere in this
metroplex.

McG.

Remo-Shiva wrote:
> check the ati website mate, you r wrong.
>
> http://www.ati.com/products/radeonx800/radeonx800series/index.html
>
> Shiva
>

> "Bratboy" <jmcguay@Takeallthisaway.tde.com> wrote in message
>> Uhmm, I may be off here but the PE designation was something IIRC
>> ATI added to their x800 xt name to designate it as ATI's flagship.
>> It has nothing to do with being PCI express or AGP. All x800's are
>> 8x if agp and the the PCI express version I think will support 16x
>> but that will be the 423 chip not the 420 used with the x800 pro and
>> XT. Finally I believe the x800xt IS NOT exclusivly pci express.
>>
>> "Remo-Shiva" <info@areyoufedup.com> wrote in message
>>> ok, i looked at overclockers.co.uk and there is something quite
>>> intresting i've noticed about the cards being released, they have
>>> slightly different clock speeds and memory speeds, plus the
>>> Sapphire XT is not the Platinum Edition but supports AGP 8x which
>>> if you look on ATI's website shouldn't be.
>>> ATI says the X800 Pro is exclusively AGP 8x and the X800 XT is
>>> exclusively PCI Express (which my mobo doesn't support) so I was
>>> going for the XT Platinum Edition which is for both AGP 8x and PCI
>>> Express and is also a bit
>>> faster than the XT.
>>>
>>> The 2 cards they have listed are the Sapphire one which has a clock
>>> speed of
>>> 525Mhz and memory speed of 1150Mhz and the Connect3D version which
>>> has a clock speed of 520Mhz and a memory speed of 1200Mhz, plus the
>>> connect3d one
>>> is £9 more expensive (which is nothing if your spending £361).
>>>
>>> Which one do you guys think I should gor for? as there is only a
>>> small difference in speed does it really matter? and should I worry
>>> about the fact
>>> that Sapphires card isn't named the XT Platinum Edition?
>>>
>>> Thanks for any usefull replies, I want to get my pre-order in
>>> within the next few days so I get mine before they sell out,
>>> hopefully (my pc has had no graphics card for a month now and I
>>> really want to start using it again).
>>>
>>> Shiva

That was the point I was trying to make to the origonal poster. ATI
origonally was gonna have x800 pro and x800 xt, then they suddenly turned
around and said that they were adding the PE nomenclature to designate it as
THEIR top card. Other venders put out the XT and if they want to make a
tweaked out version they can call what they wish.

> Interesting that the ATi site shows they now produce both a X800XT and
> X800XT Platinum Edition, and do not show a comparison of the two. I've
> just looked at the online stores for Circuit City, Best Buy and CompUSA,
> and all three show at least one X800. Best Buy shows an X800XT, lists
> it as just a X800. They also list an X800 Pro. There is little
> information about either. CompUSA lists an X800 Pro and X800 XT.
> Circuit City lags with only an X800 Pro listed. These XT's aren't shown
> as Platinum Editions. I wonder if that edition has to be purchased
> from ATi direct.
>
> Here in Houston, Tx. the only problem I ever have is actually finding
> one of the latest greatest cards ON the shelf. :( There are none
> available of any X800 in any of the stores at this time anywhere in this
> metroplex.
>
> McG.
>
> Remo-Shiva wrote:
>> check the ati website mate, you r wrong.
>>
>> http://www.ati.com/products/radeonx800/radeonx800series/index.html
>>
>> Shiva
>>

>> "Bratboy" <jmcguay@Takeallthisaway.tde.com> wrote in message
>>> Uhmm, I may be off here but the PE designation was something IIRC
>>> ATI added to their x800 xt name to designate it as ATI's flagship.
>>> It has nothing to do with being PCI express or AGP. All x800's are
>>> 8x if agp and the the PCI express version I think will support 16x
>>> but that will be the 423 chip not the 420 used with the x800 pro and
>>> XT. Finally I believe the x800xt IS NOT exclusivly pci express.
>>>
>>> "Remo-Shiva" <info@areyoufedup.com> wrote in message

Les

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001

Just make sure the card you get has 16 pipelines and the core and memory
clocks are no less than 520/1120.

The X800-XTPE is not for both AGP and PCI-E, it can be produced for one or
the other. Also I haven't yet seen specs for the PCI-E X800XT, its possible
it may just be the PCI-E version of the X800Pro or it could be a 16 pipeline
card throttled back to the same core/mem clocks as the pro version, much
like nvidia have done with the 6800GT.

Other people may be able to provide some links with info on this.
--
Les
AMD64 3200+

try reading properly, you r both wrong:

<snip>

AGP bus configuration (8X/4X/Universal AGP 3.0):
a.. RADEON X800 PRO and
b.. RADEON X800 XT PLATINUM EDITION.
PCI ExpressT bus configuration:

a.. RADEON X800 XT
b.. RADEON X800 XT PLATINUM EDITION.

which means X800 Pro is exclusively AGP, X800 XT is exclusively PCI Express
and the XT Platinume Edition is for both, which is exactly what I said in my
original post now stop with this argument, I am right, u r wrong!!! gain
some more knowledge before replying to these messages please.

Shiva

"@ndrew" <andrewratinternodedotondotnet> wrote in message
> Remo-Shiva wrote:
>
> > check the ati website mate, you r wrong.
> >
> > http://www.ati.com/products/radeonx800/radeonx800series/index.html
> >
> > Shiva
> >

> I think you need to check the link you gave ... you are wrong.
>
> regards
>
> @ndrew

I really dont care either hehe, all I know is I've got my x800XT PE. Go
enjoy arguing symantic's Im gonna enjoy playing a game instead. The simple
truth is that your gonna have to read each sites specs for each board to get
the one you want, no one else can do it for you.

> try reading properly, you r both wrong:
>
> <snip>
>
> AGP bus configuration (8X/4X/Universal AGP 3.0):
> a.. RADEON X800 PRO and
> b.. RADEON X800 XT PLATINUM EDITION.
> PCI ExpressT bus configuration:
>
> a.. RADEON X800 XT
> b.. RADEON X800 XT PLATINUM EDITION.
>
> which means X800 Pro is exclusively AGP, X800 XT is exclusively PCI
> Express
> and the XT Platinume Edition is for both, which is exactly what I said in
> my
> original post now stop with this argument, I am right, u r wrong!!! gain
> some more knowledge before replying to these messages please.
>
> Shiva
>

> "@ndrew" <andrewratinternodedotondotnet> wrote in message
>> Remo-Shiva wrote:
>>
>> > check the ati website mate, you r wrong.
>> >
>> > http://www.ati.com/products/radeonx800/radeonx800series/index.html
>> >
>> > Shiva
>> >

>> I think you need to check the link you gave ... you are wrong.
>>
>> regards
>>
>> @ndrew

So I ask a simple question on a newsgroup full of people who should know the
answer because I don't know the answer, then some stupid c**t replies NOT
with an answer or a helpfull suggestion.. NOOO ..you pick holes in the
original question, then some other c**t does the same thing and when I prove
you both wrong you reply with a "I don't give a s**t" attitude, when all I
wanted and still want is a civilised answer to a question. Why bother
replying to messages if all you can do is pick holes in the question? its
not like you knew what you were talking about, if you were right I'd say
"thanks a lot mate I shall change the original post accordingly".

All I want is for someone who knows what they are talking about to answer my
question, just like the thousands of other people who use these newsgroups
as a source of information from people in the know. NOT PEOPLE LIKE YOU. I
suggeset you stop using the newsgroups as you have clearly got the point of
them twisted.

Remo.

> I really dont care either hehe, all I know is I've got my x800XT PE. Go
> enjoy arguing symantic's Im gonna enjoy playing a game instead. The simple
> truth is that your gonna have to read each sites specs for each board to
get
> the one you want, no one else can do it for you.
>
> "Remo-Shiva" <info@areyoufedup.com> wrote in message
> > try reading properly, you r both wrong:
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > AGP bus configuration (8X/4X/Universal AGP 3.0):
> > a.. RADEON X800 PRO and
> > b.. RADEON X800 XT PLATINUM EDITION.
> > PCI ExpressT bus configuration:
> >
> > a.. RADEON X800 XT
> > b.. RADEON X800 XT PLATINUM EDITION.
> >
> > which means X800 Pro is exclusively AGP, X800 XT is exclusively PCI
> > Express
> > and the XT Platinume Edition is for both, which is exactly what I said
in
> > my
> > original post now stop with this argument, I am right, u r wrong!!! gain
> > some more knowledge before replying to these messages please.
> >
> > Shiva
> >

> > "@ndrew" <andrewratinternodedotondotnet> wrote in message

> >> I think you need to check the link you gave ... you are wrong.
> >>
> >> regards
> >>
> >> @ndrew

Pluvious

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2002

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 14:35:37 GMT, "Remo-Shiva" <info@areyoufedup.com>
wrote:

>So I ask a simple question on a newsgroup full of people who should know the
>answer because I don't know the answer, then some stupid c**t replies NOT
>with an answer or a helpfull suggestion.. NOOO ..you pick holes in the
>original question, then some other c**t does the same thing and when I prove
>you both wrong you reply with a "I don't give a s**t" attitude, when all I
>wanted and still want is a civilised answer to a question. Why bother
>replying to messages if all you can do is pick holes in the question? its
>not like you knew what you were talking about, if you were right I'd say
>"thanks a lot mate I shall change the original post accordingly".
>
>All I want is for someone who knows what they are talking about to answer my
>question, just like the thousands of other people who use these newsgroups
>as a source of information from people in the know. NOT PEOPLE LIKE YOU. I
>suggeset you stop using the newsgroups as you have clearly got the point of
>them twisted.
>
>Remo.

Hear hear.. This newsgroup has turned into a place to pick fights and
'correct' people instead of a helpful discussion. Last week I posted
about a good price for the X800 Pro and had to be told that I was
wrong, even though I bought one! Can you imagine?.. Sigh.

Pluvious

Remo-Shiva wrote:

> So I ask a simple question on a newsgroup full of people who should
> know the answer because I don't know the answer, then some stupid
> c**t replies NOT with an answer or a helpfull suggestion.. NOOO ..you
> pick holes in the original question, then some other c**t does the
> same thing and when I prove you both wrong you reply with a "I don't
> give a s**t" attitude, when all I wanted and still want is a
> civilised answer to a question.

So ask a civilised question instead of being silly.

> Why bother replying to messages if
> all you can do is pick holes in the question? its not like you knew
> what you were talking about, if you were right I'd say "thanks a lot
> mate I shall change the original post accordingly".

I think you need to re-read your original post .. if English is not
your first language I could understand the way you are having problems
articulating what information you need.

> All I want is for someone who knows what they are talking about to
> answer my question, just like the thousands of other people who use
> these newsgroups as a source of information from people in the know.
> NOT PEOPLE LIKE YOU. I suggeset you stop using the newsgroups as you
> have clearly got the point of them twisted.

Newsgroups did not come into being for the purpose of answering queries
... in fact they came into being as discussion forums by scientists.

If you wants answers to questions you can find them here:

Http://www.google.com

If you want answers in the newsgroup phrase your question correctly. If
you can't stand being corrected I would suggest you leave.

regards

@ndrew

you fail to understand that YOU were the one that was wrong. Who the hell
are you to correct me?

Remo-Shiva wrote:

> you fail to understand that YOU were the one that was wrong. Who the
> hell are you to correct me?

You fail to understand that you are a child and a top posting one at
that.

@ndrew

look, face it, your an idiot, give it up, retard.

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 13:44:05 GMT, "Remo-Shiva" <info@areyoufedup.com>
wrote:

>try reading properly, you r both wrong:
>
><snip>
>
> AGP bus configuration (8X/4X/Universal AGP 3.0):
> a.. RADEON X800 PRO and
> b.. RADEON X800 XT PLATINUM EDITION.
> PCI ExpressT bus configuration:
>
> a.. RADEON X800 XT
> b.. RADEON X800 XT PLATINUM EDITION.
>
>which means X800 Pro is exclusively AGP, X800 XT is exclusively PCI Express
>and the XT Platinume Edition is for both, which is exactly what I said in my
>original post now stop with this argument, I am right, u r wrong!!! gain
>some more knowledge before replying to these messages please.

That's funny !! The X800XT PE supports BOTH busses ?

I did not know that Ati had a bridge chip, or built BOTH AGP
and PCI-Express support into their current R400 GPU. Maybe
the card has 2 GPUs ? R400 and R420.... would get a little hot .... ??

Please look at the first data lines in the following link:-

http://www.ati.com/support/agpchart/index.html

No mention of PCI-Express here. Seems as if some marketing idiot
did not get the overview page right. Anyway, Ati site pages are always
long on marketing blurb, short on tech specs and full of mistakes.
Much more accurate spec. info from the 3rd-part vendors.

The PCI-Express version of Ati's boards are not yet retail-available.

PE means Platinum Edition NOT Pci-Express...............
Dumb and confusing nomenclature, ain't it...........

John Lewis

>Shiva
>

>"@ndrew" <andrewratinternodedotondotnet> wrote in message
>> Remo-Shiva wrote:
>>
>> > check the ati website mate, you r wrong.
>> >
>> > http://www.ati.com/products/radeonx800/radeonx800series/index.html
>> >
>> > Shiva
>> >

>> I think you need to check the link you gave ... you are wrong.
>>
>> regards
>>
>> @ndrew

"@ndrew" <andrewratinternodedotondotnet> wrote in message
> Remo-Shiva wrote:
>
> > you fail to understand that YOU were the one that was wrong. Who the
> > hell are you to correct me?
> >

> You fail to understand that you are a child and a top posting one at
> that.
>
> @ndrew

Time to killfile a waste of bandwidth like yourself.

Les

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001

> On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 13:44:05 GMT, "Remo-Shiva" <info@areyoufedup.com>
> wrote:
>
> >try reading properly, you r both wrong:
> >
> ><snip>
> >
> > AGP bus configuration (8X/4X/Universal AGP 3.0):
> > a.. RADEON X800 PRO and
> > b.. RADEON X800 XT PLATINUM EDITION.
> > PCI ExpressT bus configuration:
> >
> > a.. RADEON X800 XT
> > b.. RADEON X800 XT PLATINUM EDITION.
> >
> >which means X800 Pro is exclusively AGP, X800 XT is exclusively PCI
Express
> >and the XT Platinume Edition is for both, which is exactly what I said in
my
> >original post now stop with this argument, I am right, u r wrong!!! gain
> >some more knowledge before replying to these messages please.
> >

> That's funny !! The X800XT PE supports BOTH busses ?
>
> I did not know that Ati had a bridge chip, or built BOTH AGP
> and PCI-Express support into their current R400 GPU. Maybe
> the card has 2 GPUs ? R400 and R420.... would get a little hot .... ??

There is the the R420 and R423, agp and PCI-E cores respectively. Not on the
same card though obviously! ATI aren't using bridge chips either.

> Please look at the first data lines in the following link:-
>
> http://www.ati.com/support/agpchart/index.html

There is a clue there somewhere why it has agp cards only.

> No mention of PCI-Express here. Seems as if some marketing idiot
> did not get the overview page right. Anyway, Ati site pages are always
> long on marketing blurb, short on tech specs and full of mistakes.
> Much more accurate spec. info from the 3rd-part vendors.

same with nvidia in my experience

> The PCI-Express version of Ati's boards are not yet retail-available.

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?MSI-RX600

granted its not X800 series, but its PCI-Express, ATI and available

> PE means Platinum Edition NOT Pci-Express...............

Even the op recognised that, except he gives the impression he thinks one
card fits both.

> Dumb and confusing nomenclature, ain't it...........

not really