Question Slight hitches/stuttering across whole system

otherworldly

Reputable
Oct 11, 2018
This all started when I tried to play elden ring on my main PC monitor and it was stuttering really bad every few minutes. It would freeze for a second, a couple times. And so I tried a ton of things to fix it and nothing worked. A couple days later I noticed stuttering in another game so I disabled a couple background programs and it actually fixed the stutter for at least 5 hours. Then later that night the stuttering came back and I noticed my whole system was stuttering.

I had previously played elden ring like 200hours on a TV I have hooked to my pc with no issues. So it was weird that they seemingly only happened on my main monitor. But then it's happening across my whole system and i don't know if that's new or if I just didnt notice before.

PC specs
EVGA 3080 10gb GPU
2x8gb 3600 RAM
Ryzen 5 5600x CPU
Monitor 1: LG 32gp850-b 180hz
Monitor 2: Benq 1440p 60hz
TV: 4k 60hz QLED

When I'm not using tv I have it disconnected via windows display settings. I tried unplugging it in all my trouble shooting and it didn't make a difference.

My brain is a bit fried because I've spent so much time trying different things and now that it is seemingly across my whole system I don't really know where to start. My GPU driver's are updated and I did a clean installation. Windows is updated. Nothing shows maxed out usage or unusual resource usage. The temps are all okay.

The fix that I played elden ring main monitor was to disable Overwolf which I didn't know was enabled for startup . And it no longer is. I did some short tests right away and no issue. Then later I played for about 2 hours and no stutters. But then about 3 to 5 hours after that (and not playing anything) the stutters came back. And they happen regularly every few minutes.

Please help.

otherworldly

Reputable
Oct 11, 2018
I don't have many apps at start up and apologies for taking so long to come back to this. It's got me mentally worn out so I took a break.

But I've recently tried some new things.

The cable I got for my monitor was a dp 1.2 which I didn't realize. My monitor has a setting to tell it 1.2 or 1.4 and it's always been on 1.4. but I changed it to 1.2 and I used the stock DP 1.4 that came with monitor with it on 1.4 in settings. And it still stutters. I tried elden ring on my Benq monitor and it stutters there too. So I don't think it's just the monitor. I also tried bloons td6 and think it's the game that's lagging not the stutter like I get in elden ring. Because I also tried death stranding on my main monitor and I got no stutters. Which is a graphically intensive game. And it played smoothly. And since it stutters on my 2nd monitor that is 1440 60hz I don't know.

I am at a loss once again. And I didn't change any bios settings. I'm not really sure what you mean by that or how to do it.

When you start experiencing stutters open your task manager and look for anything that may be using up resources and causing stuttering like large amount of memory or cpu usage. Make sure your if you have a service like steam that automatic download is not checked off. Check that your virtual memory is set at correct amount and that it is set for the computer programs best performance. Set your pc power to High Performance if you have not already.

TRENDING THREADS