Question Slight input lag and subtle micro stutter, everything else fine ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatehasfans

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2016
Mouse feels floaty on desktop and in games along with keyboard delay (just a hint but enough) and there is a very slight 'graphical' stutter.

I like to think my computer shouldn't be doing this...

- i9 9900K

- MSI GTX1080 ti

- MSI z390-a pro

- Samsung SSD

- Corsair 1200x PSU

- 16 GB Ram 3000Mhz Corsair Vengeance

etc etc

I've tried everything you have including practically everything in https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/950944/pc-components/mouse-input-lag-is-killing-me/ site, including all the external sites linked within the posts (the reddit posts etc).

- Reinstalled windows - tried older windows

- Deleted mouse files

- Tested new hardware (tested everything one by one)

- Went through everything in bios - including flash, to varying effect but nothing removed the problem

- Updated all drivers and even tried rolling back to previous drivers and older

- Mouse accel input code etc (accel 0/1 nonsense)

- Tried new wall sockets + grounding

- Tested all Nvidia GFX settings

- Capped FPS and tested many combinations of options in Nvidia display panel (v-sync, g-sync, etc etc)

- Tried different monitor (bought a ROG Swift PG27 - everything looks insanely good but the problem is still there)

Floaty mouse is still there and it's all but killed my competitive gaming interest. Since it's happened I can no longer play at the same level and have quit all competitions as a result, it's extremely frustrating.

Just given up on FPS games completely, mouse feels like its dragging across ice at times and I find when I'm pressing multiple keys a lot simply aren't registering and it's the same with mouse clicks it's as though there is a slight bottleneck somewhere. I could press a keyboard key 6 times in quick succession and maybe 1 won't register - this never happened on my old cheaper computer.

P.S. What makes it more frustrating is that to the naked eye everything appears fine, when my friend comes over he thinks nothing is wrong, but he's not a gamer. I also took it to get looked at by a computer shop but again they weren't gamers and they told me everything was fine, and that's the thing everything does seem fine (applications open as they should, videos* play, music plays, everything works as normal) but when you move the mouse quickly and try to be precise it feels floaty and in games there feels like a micro-bottlenecking happening somewhere. Losing my mind here :'(

*although videos play there is a very subtle jitter like the frames are 'snagging' slightly but it's very faint. Same in games when you look at background animations or slowly pan the camera in a game there is a very small barely noticeable jitter/stutter where it should be buttery smooth.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this has been going on years now and although I'm pretty much used to it I would still love to get back to competitive play.

Thanks.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
What system and level of performance (frame rates etc) are you comparing to before when input felt normal and in what games?

Have you tried disabling enhance pointer precision in Windows and used mouse raw input if offered in games?

Regarding keyboard and missing strokes, that could be the limitation of the keyboard. Some can't handle multiple simultaneous inputs. Mechanical keyboards are best for that as keys are individually circuited.

fatehasfans

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2016
What system and level of performance (frame rates etc) are you comparing to before when input felt normal and in what games?

Have you tried disabling enhance pointer precision in Windows and used mouse raw input if offered in games?

Regarding keyboard and missing strokes, that could be the limitation of the keyboard. Some can't handle multiple simultaneous inputs. Mechanical keyboards are best for that as keys are individually circuited.

Hi there,
Thanks for the response. Yes, I disable pointer precision, thats my default. My frame-rate is fine, like I said in OP everything looks fine in terms of performance so FPS all good, temps are all good - the problem occurs system wide, so both in windows and games.

Regarding the keyboard I use cherry red switches and again as I mentioned I tried all different hardware, keyboard included, no difference :(

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I meant previous system performance compared to now. What hardware did the cheaper system consist of? Were always using 60Hz up until recently? Or even if had a 144Hz+ monitor, could the system + graphics card maintain the refresh rate? What im getting at is 144Hz / 100fps+ is a pretty big jump from say 60~80fps (if that's what you were getting previously), more so going from 60Hz to 144Hz, everything, smoothness, feels like gliding on glass, it could have a perceived impact how the mouse cursor feels maybe, if you weren't used to it. Tried lower mouse sensitivity in game?

Changing out the motherboard might be your only other option. USB controller could be flaky who knows.

fatehasfans

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2016
I meant previous system performance compared to now. What hardware did the cheaper system consist of? Were always using 60Hz up until recently? Or even if had a 144Hz+ monitor, could the system + graphics card maintain the refresh rate? What im getting at is 144Hz / 100fps+ is a pretty big jump from say 60~80fps (if that's what you were getting previously), more so going from 60Hz to 144Hz, everything, smoothness, feels like gliding on glass, it could have a perceived impact how the mouse cursor feels maybe, if you weren't used to it. Tried lower mouse sensitivity in game?

Changing out the motherboard might be your only other option. USB controller could be flaky who knows.
Well to give you some history it started on my old computer, one day it just felt slightly laggy and a little stuttery. So I initially thought my GPU was dying (GTX 780) so I bought a new card and that didnt solve the problem so bit by bit I started replacing the parts each time checking technical help forums such as here and always the advice was to do with hardware so if it wasnt my ram it was my mechanical HDD, if it wasnt my mechanical HDD it was my mobo, if it wasnt my mobo is was apparently my cpu or PSU -- slowly one by one I replaced everything and I still have slight input lag and subtle micro stutter. The only thing I havent been able to try is moving house i.e. someone else's sockets. I mean we had an electrician out and he said everything looked fine so yea I guess that ruled out grounding but tbh I'm completely stumped, out of pocket and depresssed! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.