Question Slight smell when GPU is under load (Inno3D GeForce RTX 3070 iChill X3)

Mar 28, 2021
Hello, was wondering if I could get some advice? Two months ago I upgraded my graphics card to Inno3D GeForce RTX 3070 iChill X3 and PSU to Super Flower Leadex Silver 650W. After that I start notice little burning smell when GPU is under heavy load. GPU temps are fine (76 degrees max). I start investigate this problem. I opened my case, run Control game on max settings without vsync (99% GPU load) and began to sniff. I noticed that smell is coming from GPU radiator somethere near GPU die (see attached image). No smell is coming from other parts of my PC. This smell is slight, I need to put my nose into GPU to feel it. But when my case is closed this smell intensifies and I can feel it sometimes when I sit at my desk (my case is under desk). I do not know how to describe smell, it something like burning. This is not normal right? Should I ask for RMA immidiately? The biggest problem is that there is no this cards in stock in shop where I purchased it so most likely they will want to refund money, but price on RTX 3070 models increased 3x times after my purchase , so I will loose a lot of money if I will decide to purchase another RTX 3070 again.

PbQM0lf.jpeg

It could be the thermal pads heating up and releasing some funky gases. A defective capacitor could pop and leak out dielectric which could have an acrid smell. Or it could be insulation burning on the wires. So many things can go wrong, everywhere in a PC.

Mar 28, 2021
RMA would mostly fall under contacting the manufacturer/brand of the card, not the store you bought it from as the warranty would fall under the manufacturers control.

1. Fill out the support form on their website.

2. Email sales@ivmm.com if you get no response from step 1.

3. Tweet @Inno3D if neither of the 2 steps above work

4. Visit https://www.facebook.com/INNO3DGlobal/ and message them

Asked them on official page in VK social network (https://vk.com/inno3dru) they suggest contact the store. Seems like they dropped the warranty on a seller in my country.

Mar 28, 2021
That's terrible customer service, but sounds like you have no option. Contact the store and see what they can do for you. At worst you'll just have to disassemble the card and investigate the issue.
Yeah, I hope store can do something for me. I will never purchase GPU again from this <Mod Edit> vendor

Last edited by a moderator:

Bassman999

Prominent
Feb 27, 2021
Hopefully they are better than PowerColor.
No phone number and they dont reply to RMA requests on their website. At least no reply at all in 14 days, not even the automated acknowledgement.

As far as your card I initially thought caps getting hot.

Yeah, I hope store can do something for me. I will never purchase GPU again from this <Mod Edit> vendor
They may actually be trying to help give a better service. If purchased within X time they may allow the retailer to swap the card and then the retailer returns the faulty card back to the manufacture. This would be significantly quicker than an RMA to manufacture and assuming they have stock won’t leave you without a gpu during the RMA process.

Reactions: Bassman999