Question Slight tearing within FreeSync range with Radeon Chill enabled

cc83

Reputable
Jun 4, 2016
Hey! I have LG 29UC88 display with FreeSync range of 40-75 FPS. My GPU is Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse. My standard gaming settings are: Radeon Chill ON (I usually set the range to 60-70 FPS) with VSync in games OFF. But I have noticed in two titles (Shadow of the Tomb Raider and Far Cry Primal), that when VSync is turned Off, I see small tearing on the bottom of the screen, especially visible when I move to the sides (for example pressing A-D-A-D-A-D). If I turn VSync on, it disappears, even though I am not above FreeSync range (let's say, because of Chill, I have 61-63 FPS).

I am sure Chill is working because I have that tik-tok-tok sound when I start the game, plus I can enable and disable it via Radeon Overlay. I guess Freesync works too, but I dont know how to check it in game, I just trust my AMD center that it works.

What could be the cause? Chill+Freesync? Why does enabled VSync make it disappear, even though I'm not even in range where VSync would kick in (because of Chill, I usually stay in 60-65 FPS range).

Thank you for anwers!

ASK THE COMMUNITY